Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

mufflers

Old 10-14-2013, 11:36 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default mufflers

I am going to replace my stock mufflers on my 06ss...with loudmouth2's...do I only need one muffler or 2? also what else do l need to change concerning the upgraded mufflers...I am also going to be buying some racing stripes for the 06ss....can I place them on the car, or would it be better for a body shop to do this?...tks Bill

Old 10-14-2013, 04:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bill:

Thanks for asking, If the SS came with dual tail pipes then your going to want to use dual mufflers.

As far as stripeing your vehicle(Monte) it boils down to personal preference, skill, and confidence in your abilitys.

Me personally,
I have no artistic skills what so ever... I cant draw...let alone drop a straightline down the length of Monte Carlo.

If I were to put some stripes on it... I would have to pay a professional to do it!

Maybe someone else will chime in with more ideas...

Old 10-14-2013, 04:36 PM

If you have the SS you will need 2 mufflers as well as 2 tips unless you plan to keep the stock tips and switch them over. I would also have someone else do the stripes. Not sure how much it costs, but that way if anything happens then they have to pay for it, not you.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
If you have the SS you will need 2 mufflers as well as 2 tips unless you plan to keep the stock tips and switch them over. I would also have someone else do the stripes. Not sure how much it costs, but that way if anything happens then they have to pay for it, not you.
If you get mufflers I would just get some really nice tips too. 4" to kind of set the back of the car off. Stripes would be something I wouldnt want to get into myself either.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:30 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

thanks for all the responses...yes the ss has dual exhaust tips...so I will be getting 2 mufflers...not sure about new tips will see cost and styles....

I agree on the stripes...I am not good at placing a straight line either...so will check into cost of that as well...

again...tks for info/help...Bill

Old 10-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Should look into a cat back system for exhaust

Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Should look into a cat back system for exhaust
I totally agree with Tad...

I did a full cat back system, resonator delete, accelerator chambered muffler,
Tails and tips for $180.00 instahled...

So you might have to shop around for prices depending on what you want and where you go to have it done.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 PM

I also agree with Tad, had my mufflers not rusted through I would have just held off on buying my mufflers or at least having them installed and then done a whole new exhaust with headers. But I can just reuse everything now which will save me next time I go to have all that stuff done.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I checked on the cat back systems for the 06ss...wow....they are pricy...like 875.00 total...I will see what else I can find at some of the local shop in the area.....got my light gray stripe ordered...should be getting them sometime this week, then to get them put on at the paint shop...hopefully it will make the monte look even more awesome....

Old 10-22-2013, 08:59 PM

You can talk to an exhaust shop and have them make up a custom catback. You don't really need to go with a name brand like magnaflow or anything like that. If you get a shop that does quality welding and has stainless steel piping unless you want to go with aluminum, it's going to be the same thing, you just aren't paying for the name. To have 2 mufflers welded on it was like $110 for me I believe and that was also with 2 tips. So having piping run back to the cat or from the cat back (depending on how you see it lol) I would assume it would run maybe $300 for everything

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mufflers