Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

4th Gen ('81-'88): Monte Carlo 1985 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 03:25 PM
Default Monte Carlo 1985 won't start

Having starting issues so it's cranking but not starting. So the belts are moving but nothing. Sprayed starter fluid and out gas in the carb still no start and sounds the same so not sure where to go from here. I checked I have power going to the distributor. But not sure I don't think it's a fuel thing I believe it's a fire thing but not sure. I changed wires and spark plugs. Not sure if rotor or distrubutor have anything to do with it. Any help would be perfect. Ohh signal lights work brake lights work that's it. One fusable link that goes to the lights I believe I have to replace but vehicle was still able to start before so not sure if the other one has anything to do with it starting or not? Other one with the test lead didn't have any power but not 100 percent sure.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:54 AM

remove a spark plug attach plug wire, hold the plug to ground (engine) ,crank, and observe for spark. no spark ...you have an ignition problem

Old 05-29-2019, 12:07 PM

Yeah I out a spark plug tester and not creating anything no spark. I put a light on the end with the ignition start light lights up still won't turn over. Or no fire. My radio doesn't work but my lights do. Before I use to turn the key and hear a buzzing noise then it would go off I don't hear that noise anymore. Not sure if anything is connected with that or not.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:24 PM

forget your radio and lights. you need air, fuel and spark for an engine. take off the distributor cap, turn engine over and check if rotor turns. if yes, replace coil.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:37 PM

Are you getting power to the distributor ? Could be a few other problems like a timing chain or module but need to disqualify the obvious. Good luck

Old 05-29-2019, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by volkerc
forget your radio and lights. you need air, fuel and spark for an engine. take off the distributor cap, turn engine over and check if rotor turns. if yes, replace coil.
Rotor turns have a new hei cap but rotor turns has to be the cap or the wiring I guess. Cause with the old cap and new one it's doing the same thing.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:07 PM

the hei has the coil in the cap. wires are attached to the cap, check for ignition plus at the wires. also check the coil for a broken frame, happened to my hei coil.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by volkerc
the hei has the coil in the cap. wires are attached to the cap, check for ignition plus at the wires. also check the coil for a broken frame, happened to my hei coil.
No fire to plugs have a spark plug checker and getting nothing not sure hei is brand new but not rotor so I can see if those are cracked. Thought of changing out but I thought u had to start the car first to set it so decided not too

Old 05-29-2019, 04:08 PM

sorry, don't understand what you are saying? set what? did you check for ignition + at the distributor cap? d you have pics of the coil, the distributor wires you can post?

Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 AM

I noticed that little metal clip and what holds it down is broken would that make a difference?

Quick Reply: 4th Gen ('81-'88): Monte Carlo 1985 won't start