Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Miserable Annoying Clunk from Passenger-Rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:23 PM
1 Year Member
Default Miserable Annoying Clunk from Passenger-Rear

Hey all, I've got a strange clunking sound that has been perplexing me for probably 8 or 9 months. So far it hasn't changed the driving dynamics in the car so there's no harm done yet but I'm looking to sell my Monte and I'd really like to get this cleared up.

What happens is that when I take a right-hand turn I hear a clunk from what sounds like the passenger-rear wheel. This doesn't happen on left-hand turns. At some point in the turn I am either going fast enough or turning sharp enough so that the forces involved create this distinct clunking sound (which I call the "clunk on" sound). Coming out of the turn, when I either slow down enough (~3mph) or turn the wheel back to center, I get a slightly different clunking sound ("clunk off").

When it has been raining and the car's components are wet it is rare that I get a clunk to occur. However, shortly after starting driving the components dry off and then the clunk returns. I have replaced the stock brake rotors with a slotted and drilled set (Power Stop AR8255XPR and AR8258XPR). I'm wondering if anybody thinks it's reasonable that the new rotors could be lightweight enough that taking a turn could cause the rotor to knock into either the rim or the splash plate behind the rotors. I would think that if that were the case that there would be some kind of scraping sound during the turn, which there isn't. I changed the rotors long enough ago that I don't remember if the sound started after the swap :/ but I'm inclined to think that it didn't. I feel like if it had started at that time there would have been an accompanying fit of rage which I would be able to remember.

I know that the source of the sound is not caused by these components because I've changed them while I've owned the car and I double checked the torque on all of them:
-rear hub/bearings
-rear strut tower assemblies (I installed some quick struts)
-trailing arms
-rear sway bar bushings (though I feel like this would have been the easy answer)

Any ideas? It's all quite confounding.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:38 PM

Sounds like on of those mystery problems.

Found this link below in my files...Click below & check it out & see `if it can help in any way (?)

Also check back on your thread to see what our Expert tech member's post on this problem...Good Luck 4-Sure

Pontiac Grand Prix Questions - noise also when turning right - CarGurus

Click above link
You are not alone of this type of problem
Below from above link

Here is the Technical Service Bulletin that maybe of help, worth looking into but can't guarantee that it would fix your problem Steering - Steering Column Clunking When Turning TECHNICAL Bulletin No.: 01-02-32-001P Date: November 25, 2009 Subject: Clunk Felt/Noise Heard From Steering Column, Steering Gear and/or Front Of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver and/or Steering Wheel Rotation (Replace Intermediate Shaft As Directed) Models: 2001-2004 Buick Regal 2005-2008 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse 2000-2008 Chevrolet Impala 2000-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue 2004-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to add the 2008 Buick LaCrosse/Allure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-02-32-001O (Section 02 - Steering). Condition Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle while driving during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360°of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel or when applying/releasing the brakes. Cause This condition may be caused by a "slip stick" condition of the steering intermediate shaft resulting in the clunk noise or feel through the steering wheel. Diagnostic Tip Important This condition is commonly misdiagnosed as originating in the steering gear and has resulted in the replacement of numerous steering gears without correcting the concern. Attempt to duplicate the customer's concern and isolate the I-shaft by following the procedure below: 1. Locate a large area (parking lot) where the vehicle can be turned in a tight circle. 2. Turn the steering wheel to the right and/or left all the way to the steering lock, then off the steering lock a 1/4 turn. 3. Drive the vehicle approximately 5 km/h (3 mph) in a circle, preferably over rough pavement or seams on the road surface. 4. Drive the vehicle straight ahead at idle speed while applying and releasing the brake pedal. Listen/feel the steering wheel for the clunk/noise condition. 5. If a clunk is felt in the steering wheel, the MOST likely cause is the I-shaft - not the steering gear. Continue with the correction. Correction DO THIS - Replace the intermediate shaft DON'T DO THIS - DO NOT lube the intermediate shaft Replace the existing intermediate shaft using the service procedure found in Service Information. Parts Information

8 out of 8 people think this is helpful.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:38 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the link Space! I read the whole thing and I knew I forgot to mention something in my original post. I'm pretty sure it's not the ISS which is causing the noise. The description of the noise the ISS would make sounded very similar to my situation but I never felt anything through the steering. Even if I take a wide right turn and rotate my wheel back and forth to make the clunks many times I never felt any vibrations through the steering. That was really confounding too.

Commentators in that link are saying that the bendix spring (idk what that is) on the starter breaks and that's what causes the noise. Can anyone describe what the bendix spring is, like what its mechanical importance is? I wonder if I can just ignore it. Does anyone have a schematic of the part?

Old 09-17-2014, 05:30 PM
1 Year Member

Wait a second. I must be crazy or so hopeful for a solution that I'll believe anything lol. The noise is distinctly coming out of my passenger side rear wheel area.

The starter motor would be an easy solution but it's in the wrong place. Are there any other ideas?

Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 PM

A member here once did a DIY on how to correct that problem. I don't remember who but I do remember it was a lot of work and it's something that's got to do with the way the struts are bolted on in the rear top side. My monte had this problem for as long as I could remember you either fix it or you learn to live with it like I did.

Last edited by Habbibie; 09-17-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 PM

I see you replaced your rear strut assemblies. Did you also replace the bushings?

Old 09-19-2014, 07:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Rear strut Mount...

The center is worn out causing the clunk as the strut moves around..

put a new upper strut mount on...problem solved noise gone...

This happened to mine..
Did quick struts but didn't replace the upper bearing mount...

Old 09-19-2014, 07:57 PM

StumpMI, where did u find quick struts for 5th gen? I couldn't find them anywhere.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by vincenti
StumpMI, where did u find quick struts for 5th gen? I couldn't find them anywhere.
Oreily Auto Parts..

Old 09-19-2014, 08:07 PM

That's the strut and the spring already assembled right? All u have to do is bolt the unit in?

Quick Reply: Miserable Annoying Clunk from Passenger-Rear