Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

mileage question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 PM
jpe
Default mileage question?

does anyone know where the miles are stored on a 03 monte carlo? im looking at one but the dash cluster is acting up and some of the gauges work when they feel like it. so the question i have is can i just change the dash cluster or will i lose the mileage on it? it only has 72k on it but someone tried putting white face gauges in it and messed something up. if i just put one in it from the junkyard or ebay will it still show the right miles or the miles from the junk car? thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by jpe
does anyone know where the miles are stored on a 03 monte carlo? im looking at one but the dash cluster is acting up and some of the gauges work when they feel like it. so the question i have is can i just change the dash cluster or will i lose the mileage on it? it only has 72k on it but someone tried putting white face gauges in it and messed something up. if i just put one in it from the junkyard or ebay will it still show the right miles or the miles from the junk car? thanks
The speedometer in your car is connected to a speed sensor in the transmission that calculates vehicle speed from the rotation of the transmission's planetary gear system. This information is sent to the instrument panel and allows you to see how fast the vehicle is moving. It doesn't store any of the mileage data on it, there's a computer that does that, so no, replacing the cluster won't show the count from the previous vehicle.

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 12-06-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
jpe

ok and does it matter if the cluster is from a ss or an ls? i like the guages of the ss more. so what happens if your computer ever dies? do you have to get a new one or just deal with higher miles from a junkyard one?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

there are also some legal issues when changing clusters, please read...

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You can interchange the clusters, however, You have to have the mileage reprogrammed, and you have to sign a legal document saying that you performed the switch and at what mileage.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:55 PM

I'm not completely sure about this one but I don't think you can use an SS on an LS because you don't have a sensor for the oil level or battery voltage installed. Again don't hold me to that, one of the more experienced members can accurately answer that for you.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
jpe

but if the mileage will stay the same and is stored in the computer why would there be legal issues and why would you need it reprogrammed? and where would you sign that at? thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 PM

Mileage is stored in the cluster not the cars computer. If you get a cluster from a wrecked car it will show the mileage of the wrecked car not your car. As Chris stated... or rather Chris pointed out that Mike stated this is VERY illegal (think odometer rollback). You either have to reprogram the mileage or fill out some kind of legal paperwork that is affixed to the car (not 100% sure how that works). Honestly IMO it's better to reprogram, that way there doesn't appear to be a chance that you were up to something shady when/if you try to sell your car.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknSS04
To do a legal install, you must take it to a dealer and have your vehicles mileage transferred to their computer and, and from there to the cluster.

here is a post from a member here who had a Dale Eanrhardt 02 cluster that was forsale here before, I hope it helps if you plan on changing out your gauge cluster..

Edit: sorry Jafo(Brian) pretty much explained what I just posted

Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 PM

The mileage is indeed stored in the cluster for the 00-05. 06+ is stored in the BCM

If you have the 3.4L motor, you can install the SS cluster, but the oil pressure gauge will not work

A dealer can't reprogram the mileage for you, they don't have the equipment, they will just turn around and send it out (I do offer programming of clusters, and other cluster work)

If you are buying a used cluster, be careful as most of them have either motor and/or backlighting bulb issues

BBEngineer

PS: I also sell refurb clusters and repair clusters

Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bbengineer
The mileage is indeed stored in the cluster for the 00-05. 06+ is stored in the BCM

If you have the 3.4L motor, you can install the SS cluster, but the oil pressure gauge will not work

A dealer can't reprogram the mileage for you, they don't have the equipment, they will just turn around and send it out (I do offer programming of clusters, and other cluster work)

If you are buying a used cluster, be careful as most of them have either motor and/or backlighting bulb issues

BBEngineer

I knew you would be here soon to offer your expert advice, thanks for helping the MCF

PS: I also sell refurb clusters and repair clusters

I knew you would be here soon to offer your expert advice, thanks for helping the MCF

Quick Reply: mileage question?