Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Low Colant Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Default Low Colant Light

Hey guys

Last spring i blew the heads on my 2001 monte 3.4l and have the whole top end re-built. Every gasket, o-ring, sensor plus 2 re-built heads. Now the Warning light comes on saying Low coolant so when i check the rad and the resivoir they are both full and fine. The light comes on a start up and gose away once the car is warm. What could be causing this ... is there a sensor that could be dirty ?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do what I do....
Ignore the idiot light....(thats why there called idiot lights)
And just keep an eye on your fluid level....I check mine every cpl a weeks... Mines fine everytime....
More than likely its the sensor...

Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There's a sensor right under the cap on the radiator. Typically it can get gunked up.

You can ignore it, replace it, or unplug it. Unplugging or replacing will get the light to go away.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
There's a sensor right under the cap on the radiator. Typically it can get gunked up.

You can ignore it, replace it, or unplug it. Unplugging or replacing will get the light to go away.

Thanks mike! I never did know where they hid that thing ....lol

Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 AM

Yeah the light makes no sense. My 97 has weird coolant light issues. The light is never on and then all of a sudden usually when going up and down hills the light comes on for a short time. The coolant level is high enough a hill should not cause the light to come on. So I just said hell with it and quit worrying when it comes on. I just watch my levels like suggested.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 PM

My monte keeps telling me low coolant. icheck the bottle i think its the right one in the back. it's got what looks like coolant could it just be that sensor???? how hard is that to fix? i have a friend who can help me if I can get th info.... Thanks!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MartyCam
My monte keeps telling me low coolant. icheck the bottle i think its the right one in the back. it's got what looks like coolant could it just be that sensor???? how hard is that to fix? i have a friend who can help me if I can get th info.... Thanks!
Thread revival! Haha. Check the level of the coolant in the radiator. Also if your coolant elbows haven't been replaced that could be where your leaking coolant. Do yourself a favor and start a new thread with all your problems so other members and myself can better help you out.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:50 PM

sorry, i got excited and did not notice the date that this was an old posting. i just checked the coolant in the raditor and it looks good. i tried pouring a little in and i think it just topped off the neck as it spilled out fast after i put very little in.
where are the coolant elbows??? what do they look like??

Old 01-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MartyCam
sorry, i got excited and did not notice the date that this was an old posting. i just checked the coolant in the raditor and it looks good. i tried pouring a little in and i think it just topped off the neck as it spilled out fast after i put very little in.
where are the coolant elbows??? what do they look like??
They are underneath your alternator and tensioner pulley bracket. They are black plastic elbows. They eventually fail 100% of the time.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 PM

during break at work today me and my friend checked and we didn't see the coolant elbows..... ar they hidden or inside the engine???

Quick Reply: Low Colant Light