Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

4th Gen ('81-'88): Loss of power at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have to hand it to you, your more brave than some of us here. That is not work for the timid, pulling the face of your motor all apart like that.

Good to see the timing was correct and a tooth or two were not missing. Also we believe your cam to be good too with the rocker heights looking consistent. So that's less work for you to do and get yourself back on the track quicker.

Your not wasting much time, already have the double roller sprocket upgrade on. Having the hd chain set up has to be so much peace of mind. This will probably be the last time you ever see the inside of the t/c cover.

Nice write up, great photo's there. Thanks for sharing for sure...

Old 05-29-2015, 10:17 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Thanks for the encouragement

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Have to hand it to you, your more brave than some of us here. That is not work for the timid, pulling the face of your motor all apart like that. Nice write up, great photo's there. Thanks for sharing for sure...
Thanks Greg!!
Not so sure if it is bravery or stupidity as it is not back together yet!!! LOL
Everyone would laugh like crazy if they saw all my pieces and parts. I have everything taped and labeled or in a ziplock bag and labeled. LOL

I still have to get the crank sprocket pushed on about 3/8 of an inch further but have to wait until tomorrow so I can borrow a huge deep well socket to put over the end of the crankshaft so I can smack it a few times with a hammer to get it seated properly.
I will be very relieved once it is all cleaned up and back together. I did not want to do this again so I made sure I went with the double roller assembly. I think I am going to get rid of that nasty orange paint and clean it up a bit with black engine paint. I really dislike orange even though Chevy liked to use it..lol It will be much easier to paint with all those parts off the front. While I am putting it back together I think I will be installing my electric water pump drive. That will give me a few HP back!! Already eliminated the power steering pump and looped the lines.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:28 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

[QUOTE=P343;664389]
Everyone would laugh like crazy if they saw all my pieces and parts. I have everything taped and labeled or in a ziplock bag and labeled. LOL

That sounds like the slow and methodical procedure one needs to go through so they don't find themselves missing a couple things and even more common, parts left over...

I still have to get the crank sprocket pushed on about 3/8 of an inch further but have to wait until tomorrow so I can borrow a huge deep well socket to put over the end of the crankshaft so I can smack it a few times with a hammer to get it seated properly.

Well you are reverting to the tried and true tool that always has a place on a rebuild. The trusty ol "BFH" A few wacks with that beast can fix the problem or make a serious dent in a friends car (not going to hit our own car, right) or can smash up a couple of your fingers pretty darn good. WORK PATIENTLY and don't stress like I tend to do...

Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
WORK PATIENTLY and don't stress like I tend to do...
Stress??? LOL Beyond that at this point but I am making sure I take my time to make sure it is done correctly without any left over parts (Except for the ones I am intentionally deleting)
Small hammer, big socket!!! I will have that gear on there in no time. LOL Oh no, I would not hit my Monte with anything!! LOL When it gets too frustrating, I walk off and calm down.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

In the disassembly picks.. I noticed the chain, sprockets all look really clean..(Non Oily)
Did you clean them? If you didn't... Theres a serious problem...

They should be discolored(oils stained) and saturated with oil...

In this picture...

I noticed what looks like the crank is off center in the timing cover..
My hope is...
Its just the angle of the photo.. as it could otherwise be indicating a bent crank.. The chain has definitely some slack in it... Obviously someone has previously changed it as I noticed it was an all steel cam gear...
(Factory is usually a nylon and steel combo)

So maybe...
The chain marks on the inside of the timing cover is from previous damage? before it was replaced with the current timing set..
I don't see the "typical" indicators that say the timing chain is the issue...
But the double roller is the best upgrade..

This leads me to believe..
The cam lobes maybe wiped out for number#8 cylinder.. misfire.
Since you pulled the plug and its gas soaked..

But I am ultra impressed with your abilitys and the way you bagged and tagged everything!...

Heres my recommendation...
Once you get the timing assy back together.. get a compression gauge...
Do a leak down test on #8 cylinder. and see if it holds compression..

I would however... dbl check the compression on all the other cylinders as well. just to see if there all the same.

I know you know the firing order...
Dbl Dbl check to be sure all the plug wires are on the proper cylinders for the #8 misfire. and dbl check the rotation of the distributor before you do dbl check the firing order... It may turn out to be 1 cylinder is off. so dbl check that #1 plug wire is in the #1 position on the distributor! with the rotation in mind of the distributor... then go thru the firing order being sure
all 8 are in the proper position/order. Even though the backfire thru the carb is no longer doing it...advancing or retarding the timing will eliminate it... That just indicates 1 of 2 things to me..
1) Improper firing order
2) Bent/hung Intake valve (Hence the leak down test)

If you do all these things and find everything is as correct as it should be..
My next thought..
A bad cam....(wiped out lobes)

I hope you find that the firing order is off... and it cures your #8 misfire..

Sorry it took me so long to comment...
Been a little busy around here... Great pics !!!
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'd be willing to work on it with you anytime! Your doing awesome Barbara!!!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
In the disassembly picks.. I noticed the chain, sprockets all look really clean..(Non Oily)

In this picture...

I noticed what looks like the crank is off center in the timing cover..

Been a little busy around here... Great pics !!!
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'd be willing to work on it with you anytime! Your doing awesome Barbara!!!

Dang Dave your the man, your knowledge is pretty impressive, with you on her team like you have been her Monte will be running 14's! Your a good man Dave! Did I see you on TV at the Biker brawl in Texas, whipping a chain about and yelling "You call this a storm!"

Old 05-30-2015, 08:38 AM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI

YES, I cleaned it up. But it also just had a brand new oil change. Only 4 track passes on this 20/50 oil.
I took that pic of the cover and noticed that crank position immediately that it looked like the crank was off center. Took another pic and it was fine so it was camera angle. Whew!! lol
Yes, I was surprised when I got in there and I had metal sprockets. Honestly. I was praying for nylon with some busted teeth..LOL Would have answered my questions RIGHT AWAY!! LOL But, I went through all this work to get to it, so double rollers were going in!!!! Chain marks could very well be from previous damage but I also know by feeling the tension on that chain and actually hearing the chain beat on the cover, that it had been doing it recently. It was NOT significant scoring on the inside of the cover like it had been doing it for a very long time.
I am also leaning towards the very real possibility that it is a wiped lobe also
If I have to do a new cam, I am definitely going to beef it up a bit!! LOL Also thinking, ike you, that it could be a bend or hung intake valve.
If I had not bagged and tagged everything, I would be buying many new parts because I would not remember what part went where...LOL And I guarantee I would have extra parts and Murphy would step in here and apply his law, the extra part would have gone BEHIND the harmonic balancer and would not have noticed it until it was back on!!! LOL
My abilities are definitely being challenged with this project but my goal is to get her back to the track ASAP and this is really the only thing keeping me from curling up on the couch and crying about it!!! LOL I also want to get her back out there to a few shows. The 2002 is pretty but she is NOT built for racing plus she is my only way to and from work!!! But she keeps me in the points race in the mean time!
Definitely getting/borrowing a compression gauge and doing a leak down test on ALL cylinders once I get it back together. I am also going to check something that Greg (Zippy02) mentioned to me and that is to check near the #8 cylinder for an intake gasket leak!!
Also more than double checking firing order/wire placement. I have checked wire placement 20 times but I will probably check it 20 more...LOL That is going to be my next tattoo..the chevy firing order on the inside of my left wrist!!
Thanks for the huge write up. And I appreciate the encouragement because this really has me on edge.
Wish we lived closer because it sure would be cool to have someone with your knowledge/experience being right there working with me. Not too many people I trust to even touch my Montes. Others just do not understand!!! LOL

You have been busy? With the bike? Cleaning out the garage?
You going to the MMCC Meet today?
OMG just got a text, they are opening the track today with 80% chance of rain!!! One timed shot and we go racing...Wow. Guess I better get moving and get the 02 checked out.

Greg:
When I get this car back to the track firing on all 8 and I break into the 14's for the first time. I will be making really cool copies of my time slip and sending each of you a framed copy for all your help!!!

Last edited by P343; 05-30-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Barbara:
I like being able to help you..yes I would enjoy working on it with you if it wasn't for the mileage between us.
However..
I know you've checked the firing order 20 times plus...
Here's my point.. (I've done this myself)
Making the same mistake over and over.. and expecting proper results.
I too had a constant misfire.. turned out.. I kept tracing the wrong wire to the incorrect position on the distributor from the correct cylinder.. Daaaa
Silly me!
Once I figured it out..
I felt so stupid..
Like you... I know the proper firing order! Hehehehe..

Yes I did go to the meet..
Unfortunately. . The turn out wasn't what I expected. .
We had 20+ supposed attendees and only had 6 or 7 that
Actually showed up.
2 were from out a state 1 from out of the country..
What happen to all those that signed up locally?
God only knows.
The garage is still awaiting a cleaning since I attended the meet.

The bike is well on it'd way to be completed. (Can't wait)

Greg:
I'm trying the best I can to help..Barbara get it back up and running.
Without actually being there..

Barbara..
Keep me/us posted..
I'm trying.. lol

Old 06-01-2015, 12:57 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Well I was trying to get to MI for the meet and was just gonna show up but I could just not get things to fall in to place for me

Now that I have the engine torn this far apart and I am not thinking the chain/timing was the entire deal, I am going to go ahead and pull the cam and take a look. If that is not it, I guess I dig deeper. No sense in closing it all back up just to have to open it back up again when no real problem has been found yet.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hmmm kind of hard to narrow down without specifics of cam and whats the gph for fuel pump you have? I had that problem recently and changed my 80 gph holley fuel pump to a 110 gph,made adjustments to carb. Running great now,will be hitting track@Miland soon for track time etc. Maybe carb to small for motor?

Quick Reply: 4th Gen ('81-'88): Loss of power at WOT