Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Looking for opinions on 95 monte problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:50 AM
vet
Default Looking for opinions on 95 monte problems

Hello, new to the forum.My daughters 95 Monte 3.1.wouldn't start the other day - turn the key and nothing, dash lights working, battery fully charged. Try again in a couple hrs and it starts fine??? Another issue is that the CEL has been coming on and offintermittently over the past few months. I changed the alternator a few months ago so I think that's working okay and the battery is new. What's involved in pulling the cel code, do all 95's have OBD1.5?Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Default RE: Looking for opinions on 95 monte problems

First off,
I would check the starter out since the battery is fine. You can take it to AutoZone and they will check it out for free.
Since the 95 Monte is obd I AutoZone will not hook the scan tool to it. You can buy a cheap scan tool to pull the code or you can jump it at the box under the dash and count the cel when it flashs.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:01 PM
vet

Thanks for the reply. If the starter was bad/going bad wouldn't I at least get aclicking noisewhen I turned the key? When my daughter turned the key the other day there was no sound at all. Can you tell me what to look for under the dash? Thanks much.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:09 PM

Vet, was theengine warm when it wouldn't start? If possible, try hitting the starter body and THE SIDE!!! of the solenoid with a small hammer. Sometimes you get a dead spot on the armature, or the contacts in the solenoid may be going.

As for the underdash connection, if its like my 87 Camaro: it should be to the right of the steering column, with about 20 pins. I think you jump the first and last to get the CEL to flash. I would highly recommend checking BEFORE jumping the pins. I wouldn't want to be responsible for bad info.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:22 PM

mine did the same thing it was a bad solenoid on the starter. i agree with mtwallet tap it and see what it does and let us know

Old 10-30-2007, 02:12 AM

It should the the two top pins to the far right if I remember correctly....

Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 AM
vet

Thanks for all the advice. It's been running fine since that incident but I would like to get it resolved since I don't want my daughter (16) getting stranded. When it happened theengine was not warm and it was raining/very humid.I found the plug under the dash, 12 pins I think. IfIjump the pins to get the cel codeam I counting the number of flashes of the cel light on the dash?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:39 AM

I have had an occasional problem with my 96. Clean the resistor pellet in the key or use a different key. Sounds like the beginning of a passkey problem.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 AM
vet

I saw a thread on this forum about the ignition key cylinder having a high rate of failure on this generation Monte. Could that cause my symptoms? Anyone else have one go bad?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:59 AM

[align=center]Hi Vince,[/align][align=center]Sorry to read that you are having some problems with[/align][align=center]your Monte Carlo. Your daughter is lucky to have you.[/align][align=center]The below link may interested you if you are[/align][align=center]having the below problem(s)[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]When you insert your ignition key and attempt to start the car, will the car not even attempt to crank over? Does the "Security" light flash during any time you're attempting to start the car?[/align][align=center]The simple solution is to first clean off the chip on your key or try another key for the same car. If that also doesn't work, then follow my instructions for a fast, simple, and relatively inexpensive repair.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click on below link[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://vats.likeabigdog.com/[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good Luck `Vince[/align]

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on 95 monte problems