Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Looking to install fog lights in my 2006 LT

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Default Looking to install fog lights in my 2006 LT

Hi all. Im new here.

I have a 2006 LT Monte Carlo that did not come with stock fog lights when purchased (used).

I would like to install them. Has anyone done this? How difficult was it? What is the process for doing an installation? What brands would you recommend for after-market?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 AM

It's quite easy. You'll need the pair of housings, bulbs, and a harness. You can find the housings on ebay pretty readily, like these for example. All the housings are the same. They'll usually come with bulbs, if not, they all use H11's. This one comes with a premade harness if you'd rather not wire it from scratch. However, the harness is not quite long enough, and you'll have to add in some odd length of wire for it to reach the driver side housing. There's also the chrome cover/insert that you may wish to get, as the housings are a loose fit without them and the light cutoff ends up higher than intended, but they're rare on ebay and pricey from parts stores.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:21 AM

What I'm looking for is a part number for a headlight/fog light control unit, you know the wheel you use to turn your headlights on. I want to add fog lights, but I want it to look factory. Any luck there? Thanks all.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 PM

This should be what you're looking for. Part #25821299. It has both the fog light switch and the traction control switch. However, I'm not sure if it will work with the BCM, as from what I've heard it needs reprogrammed. You also may not have the correct harness with the additional plug for the fog lights.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM

if your car didnt come with factory fog lights and you want to use the factory switch (which is a momentory switch) you will one of two things, a new BCM (at least 600$ from GM) or a latching relay (or you can search the web on how to make one using regular relays) because when you press the switch, all it does is sends a signal while its being pressed, once you release it, it turns off.

i picked up my latching relay off ebay for about 20$ i think.. PM me and i can email you a wiring diagram i picked up for BBengineering (Great guy btw)

the only thing that doesnt look stock with my fog light setup is the lil latching relay box and the actual relay (which i put behind the headlight, so you dont see it anyways)

edit: btw, you cant get your bcm reprogramed, i went through that with GM, once its programmed once its locked as to not be able to mess with the odometer, so you need a "virgin" bcm

Old 11-16-2011, 10:19 PM

i went to gmpartsdepartment.com i called them i talked to one of the guys i forgot the part number it caughst 125 for all the wires for the head lights and running lights and air bag wires. it is wiered that our cars have six or seven different harnesses. harness for the front head lights and every thing but the engin harness thats anouther harnes and exectra. i will let you know what the part number is you still need a relay fuse and head light switch. you can rob a switch off of a wrecked impalla and relay if you are lucky the front harness as well but. it is also a gamble for that because of gremlins after that get the bcm reprogramed if nessesary. it caust me about 150.00 total 275.00 befor the fog light and bulbs

Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 AM

...cant reprogram the bcm , unless gm finally decided to change that, please correct me if im wrong

Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 AM

My 06 Monte also did not come with fog lights. A friend told me that I could get the fog lights and bulbs. Ground each fog light, then spice a wire from each fog light to the same wires that run from the low beams to the actual switch in the car. Will that work?

Old 05-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Default Fog light parts

I know this is an older thread but I found a lot of this stuff on Rockauto.com. Just looking at everything in the 'add to cart' list, I have:

(1) Fog lamp relay switch - $12
(2) Fog lamp wire connectors - $12 (or $5+ each)
(2) Fog lamp assemblies - $46 (I picked the economy line, you can pick a premium carrier for an added cost)
(1) Fog/Headlight switch - $40

I personally don't know if that is everything needed for the install but I have seen the parts listed as necessary. This should give it that factory look as well. Hope this helps someone.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:14 AM

correction to my last post it is just the harness for the head lights sorry and it has maybe a few other wires with it that is intergrated with the harness but having the factory look and having it look and work like it came from the factory is always a bonus

Quick Reply: Looking to install fog lights in my 2006 LT