Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Looking for concours 1970 SS 454 engine compartment photos please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 AM
1 Year Member
Thumbs up Looking for concours 1970 SS 454 engine compartment photos please.

Greetings, I am restoring the engine compartment of a Sweet one owner Survivor 70 SS 454. I want it as correct as it can be. I'm seeking any and all help with this as I am having trouble finding this important information. Correct colors, decals and their locations, correct hoses, clamps, original battery and terminal info, etc. I want this right as this car deserves it.
Thanks in advance. I will be camping for the next week, so please don't be upset if I don't reply to any help offers during this period.
Tom.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 AM

Look forward to seeing your 1st Gen Monte with your "454 ci"

Have you checked with GM Parts for colors/hoses/clamps etc ?

Check above site & hopefully they may be able to assist also Good Luck

Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 AM
1 Year Member
Default Photos

Thank you. I made a photo album for your viewing.
Thanks, Tom.

I'll be back after camping with more questions.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by mowparz
Thank you. I made a photo album for your viewing.
Thanks, Tom.

I'll be back after camping with more questions.

Hi Tom & thanks for your photo's of your SuperSuper 1st Gen Monte Carlo I also hope that you become a active MCF member & meet the Monte of the Month requirements . I would sure VOTE for your Monte 4'Sure Look forward to your return > Enjoy your camping & fun....
BeachBum'Mike

Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 PM

There are at least two incorrect items in SpaceRider's photo.

1. The master cylinder is an aftermarket replacement. The originals were more square, had only one bail wire to hold the lid on, and had bleeder screws so that the unit could be bench bled.

2. For whatever reason, the Monte didn't have the cowl screens installed at the factory.

Two other things that I note. I'm not sure about the alternator but the pulley looks incorrect to me. Depending on the build date for the car, the air conditioning brackets may not be correct. The ones in the picture started late in the 1970 model year and continued through 75. There is a different design for 69 and early 70.

My car is loaded up for Monte Nats now, but I'll try to find time to take some pictures there and post them (if I've reached my post requiremet!)

J.R.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:01 PM
1 Year Member

Back from a rainy week of camping, but had fun anyways. Thanks to all who responded. I look forward to learning more as I prepare for the engine compartment detailing.
Tom.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 PM

Tom, I didn't get time at the Nats to get pictures of my engine compartment. I am going back to PA this coming weekend and have to stop at my garage so I'll try again. In the mean time, check out this site The First Generation Monte Carlo Club

for a couple of pictures.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:42 PM

cool very

Old 12-20-2013, 06:31 PM
1 Year Member
Default Battery terminal question

Hello and Happy Holiday's to all. Can someone tell me if a 1970 Monte Carlo SS 454 came with top terminal batteries, or side terminals? Right now it has side terminals, but the cables could have been changed out at some point, I'm not sure. It is a very early production model if this may determine what is correct. I have viewed several photos of first generation MC's, and I have found both top and side terminals and I don't know what is considered correct.
Any input would be great!
Thanks in advance, Tom.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's a link with some engine pic..
LINK:1970-'71 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS | Hemmings Motor News

Quick Reply: Looking for concours 1970 SS 454 engine compartment photos please.