Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

List O problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:48 PM
1 Year Member
Default List O problems

So Im going to list All the current Minor problems i have with my 03 monte carlo LS. Firstly my mpg has dropped sharply, almost half of what i was getting before. Last winter a full tank would give me anywhere between 350-410 miles on it before running out. Now im getting about 250ish max. I know its Cold and the gas mixture is crap in the winter to help fight polution, but why now and not last winter? My car has about 75k miles on it and thats when i started noticing it. I bought a list of parts that i figured was due time to change out, including New Fusion spark plugs( 4 prongs converge at center to create a spark) new spark plug wires, Fuel filter, Air filter, and some SEAFOAM to run thru the oil, gas systems. I have new tires, but im thinking that possibly if these parts dont help the problem, it might be the alignment. The Tie rods (inner) i suspect are bad because when i drive i have to constantly make minor adjustments left and right. Its so bad that when i drive on the freeway the little notches in the road my tires grab onto, like a train track; and go in the direction of the grooves. I put it up on a lift and shook the wheel left and right, the inner tie rod moved a little, not much. I look at the spot where the tie rod connects to the outside of the wheel while i did this, nothing moved, so im guessing the reason its moving is the place under the rubber boot thing. I know theres a way to disco the end connection to the wheel and see if the tie rod is sloppy (putting it in the air and watching it flop around) Also, when i start my car, i have to give it some gas sometimes, otherwsie i will just sit there and burn my starter for 1 min. Possibly bad spark plugs? idk Im going to replace all the parts listed above including the Tie rods (driver and passenger side) btw both tie rods moved about the same distance left and right (freeplay). If anyone has anything to add please feel free, imma go read my manual now >_<.

Duncan