Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Left-side temperature heat problem on 04 Monte SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM

You did unhook the battery after each time you installed the actuator, didn't you? If not, it will not re-calibrate. And for future reference, letting the actuator free spin will ruin certain ones in a heartbeat.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
You did unhook the battery after each time you installed the actuator, didn't you? If not, it will not re-calibrate. And for future reference, letting the actuator free spin will ruin certain ones in a heartbeat.

Yes, I did disconnect the battery.. I checked to make sure the actuator was working by connecting the battery for a couple seconds, then disconnecting.. I marked the position BEFORE I reconnected the battery, that's how I "spun it 180deg". Not saying this will work for anyone, but it fixed mine.. Again, have NO clue on why, but it did....I was extreamly surprised when it did work..

Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 AM

It wont hurt it on a Monte. But some vehicles if you hook the actuator up without it being on the door, it will ruin it and you'll need a new one.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:44 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I calibrated the actuators by pulling the HVAC fuse like it said to do in the manual but I think I'll pull the battery cable to make sure all power is cut off. Never know you are pulling the right fuse!!

DH

Old 11-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Default His-Hers-Ours HVAC blues...

OK... Update!! Got the dashboard pulled and found the culprit! Fun job by the way... It's as much fun as getting hit in the back and the front of your head with a 2x4...You have to pull the brake pedal assembly and some bolts for the aluminum reinforcement that has to be removed to access the plenum and there's not much room for that ****!! The driver's side blend door hangs-up in the plenum assembly. Once you take the left and right actuators off, the passenger-side one swings freely while the drivers one hangs up. It almost feels as if some foam or something has broken off of the back side of the door (which you can't access until you pull the WHOLE plenum off of the body of the car so you can split the plenum open to access the door(s.) I went to Mr. Goodwrench and the combo left-right door and a "required" seal kit ran me about $140. I think they charged me full retail so I may try to get some $$$ back when I pick up the part later today. If the plenum (upper part of the case) where the door swings back and forth is warped I may have to buy that as well but for now I'll just see how the new door(s) fit in there.

I'm also replacing the A/C evaporator ($70 from Rock Auto) as long as I'm in there. I was going to replace the heater core too so I hopefully don't have to pull the dash EVER AGAIN but according to the GM service manual, you can replace the heater core by just removing the front seats and pulling the carpet back and some other stuff too.

I'll keep you posted on the results...

Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 AM

Good job dude.. Congrats on the fix....

Old 12-16-2014, 11:15 AM

i'm having same issues now with my 04;;blows hot[semi hot]out of pass side and cold out of drivers side;;seen on this post you-all said something about recalibrating before replacing parts;;how do I do this;;?can this maybe fix issue and if so how do or what causes them to get out of calibration?

Old 12-16-2014, 11:19 AM

one more thing on mine I got a P0128 CODE[COOLANT THERMOSTAT[COOLANT TEMP below thermostat regulating temp]can this cause my issue?

Old 12-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by hotrodharley
i'm having same issues now with my 04;;blows hot[semi hot]out of pass side and cold out of drivers side;;seen on this post you-all said something about recalibrating before replacing parts;;how do I do this;;?can this maybe fix issue and if so how do or what causes them to get out of calibration?
This is a common occurance apparently on 2000 thru 2005 Monte Carlos
the blend door actuators..
Heres a short video that should help...

Originally Posted by hotrodharley
one more thing on mine I got a P0128 CODE[COOLANT THERMOSTAT[COOLANT TEMP below thermostat regulating temp]can this cause my issue?
A code P0128 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • Low engine coolant level
  • Leaking or stuck open thermostat
  • Faulty cooling fan (running too much)

Probably as simple as replacing the thermostat.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:42 PM

I had to replace the blend door on the bad side...... To find out what one is bad, move it from hot to cold and do the same for the other, if both do not change temp, I'd replace both.. Then reset them...

Quick Reply: Left-side temperature heat problem on 04 Monte SS