Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Knocking and Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Talking Knocking and Coolant leak

Hey y’all I need help figuring this out. I have an 01 super sport, started it up Saturday and there was taking or knocking coming from under the hood on the passenger side. It started overheating I open the hood and looked it was leaking coolant or water from underneath the alternator. The low sensor light has been coming on for the coolant . But there is coolant in the radiator in in the reservoir. I think the heater core went out because I smell antifreeze and it’s not blowing hot air. Just wondering if anybody else has had this happen

Old 10-02-2017, 01:46 PM

Possibly check the elbow that comes out of your belt tensioner.

Check your oil and make sure coolant isnt leaking into it.. UIM/LIM gaskets go bad because the dexcool coolant they use and oil goes into coolant or the other way around..

Any white smoke from exhaust??

Last edited by wht02monte; 10-02-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:05 PM

I think it might be the belt tensioner itself because after it’s cooled down and sat overnight. I turned it on this morning and it’s just squealing really bad and the belt tensioner arm is jumping around pretty good I sprayed their gear bowl with water and it stopped. But I think that may be causing the noise and the battery to go dead and the overheating. Because the belt is slipping and not turning the alternator or the water pump like it should.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:15 PM

Remove the belt and turn all of the accessories by hand to see if they are tight or feel rough, especially the belt tensioner pulley.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan Lewis
I think it might be the belt tensioner itself because after it’s cooled down and sat overnight. I turned it on this morning and it’s just squealing really bad and the belt tensioner arm is jumping around pretty good I sprayed their gear bowl with water and it stopped. But I think that may be causing the noise and the battery to go dead and the overheating. Because the belt is slipping and not turning the alternator or the water pump like it should.
Well for whatever reason, coolant runs thru the tensioner assembly.. So yea could be that..