Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Knock in high gear at lower RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Knock in high gear at lower RPMs

My 05 Monte SS is having some fairly substantial knock when slowly accelerating in high gear and low RPMs. I'm seeing as high as 4-5 degrees. If I push the pedal down farther and let it downshift to accelerate faster the knock disappears. The knock only appears during this time. I've noticed its the worst when cruising and going up a hill. I have a 180 tstat, 2 steps colder plugs, CAI, and headers on the car. I am running 91 octane. It has not been tuned recently.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Keudn
My 05 Monte SS is having some fairly substantial knock when slowly accelerating in high gear and low RPMs. I'm seeing as high as 4-5 degrees. If I push the pedal down farther and let it downshift to accelerate faster the knock disappears. The knock only appears during this time. I've noticed its the worst when cruising and going up a hill. I have a 180 tstat, 2 steps colder plugs, CAI, and headers on the car. I am running 91 octane. It has not been tuned recently.
Is your car bogging as well? I'm having similar issues same year and model

Old 07-23-2017, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Bleedintoone
Is your car bogging as well? I'm having similar issues same year and model
Not really, I talked with a family friend who has a non SC SS and his does the same thing

Old 07-23-2017, 09:36 PM

This is a long shot but be sure its not an exhaust manifold leak causing false knock..

Wouldnt it be great if it was that simple??

Old 07-23-2017, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
This is a long shot but be sure its not an exhaust manifold leak causing false knock..

Wouldnt it be great if it was that simple??
Well I definitely had a manifold leak when this was occurring. It has died down however and hardly does it. I have fixed the leak as well as ran some seafoam through the car so I can't said which fixed it