Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Default Keyless entry

Just bought a 1997 Monte LS. It has keyless entry but the remote doesn't work to lock/unlock. I tried some things that I found on the web to see if the remote just needed reprogrammed but that didn't work. Another thing that I found said something about it needed to have the factory stereo in order to program. Could this be the problem? My brothers 2001 has a lot of diagnostic stuff with the radio so he said he couldn't replace it in his. I don't know if the factory radio had anything to do with this. How do you test to see if the remote is bad. And does anyone know anywhere online that would have a viewable owners manual for a 1997 Monte LS. Thank you

Old 09-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Default RE: Keyless entry

might be the issue but i am sure there is another way to program those things then just the factory radio.

Also your brother can change his system out in his car if he wants to. The stuff it controlls is not somthign that has to keep the radio in the car to operrate the car.

I do not ahve the factory stereo in my 03 havent for over a year now and i have nothing special to make it work in the car either.
the only thing i have lost was teh steering wheel controlls (if he has those)
the door chimes, and also the other chimes that coem on to bug the crap out of you while drivign the car.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 AM

1. Locate the Programming Connector leading to the receiver in the trunk (passenger side). It is a plastic connector with one wire leading up to it. The connector is not plugged into anything. You may have to pull back the right side trunk trim to access the connector.

2. The programming connector should have one terminal. Ground this terminal to the trunk hatch or a nearby bolt. The door locks will automatically lock then unlock to indicate initiation of programming mode. Make sure the programming connector stays grounded throughout the programming.

3. Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter for 12 seconds or until the door locks will cycle once. Your new remote has been accepted and all existing remote codes have been erased.

4. Repeat the previous step for each of the remaining transmitters (including any existing transmitters). Do not remove ground between programming of transmitters.

5. Remove the jumper wire from the keyless programming connector

Old 09-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Good call. I'm going to pass that onto an ex roommate of mine.

Where did you pull that answer from?

Old 09-05-2007, 02:48 PM

Thanks ShallNot

I got this information earlier and tried it and the transmitter still does not work. The car went into program mode but the car didn't and still does not recognize the transmitter. Could the transmitter be bad?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 PM

Did the door locks cycle when you tried to program the remote? It does have a new battery in it right? Just checking..lol. Sounds like a bad remote.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:34 PM

Thanks FullMonte.

Replacing the battery was the first thing that I did. My wife and daughter are the blondes in the family not me lol. I went to the dealership and had them test the remote and they said it was bad. When he opened it up it the circuit board was all covered with this black sticky goo. I cleaned it and tried it but it still did not work. Good thing I have one coming from eBay. I hate opening the door with the key.