Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Jones's GTP Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Default Jones's GTP Thread

So after so much updates on this car I decided to make a thread.

Here's what I did today....
Today I went outside to replace the cracked coolant elbows on my car, after about 30min of removing the belt, alternator, and tensioner I managed to pull the old elbows out and from what I saw looked like a horror story. They were broken on the ends and sealed with RTV for a temp fix by the previous owner. I installed new elbows and now the car no longer leaks coolant.
After that I decided to tackle the TPS issue that's been on going. After a long fight with this sensor it came down to the wiring harness. I had to go to GM and spend $40 on a new harness. I got home started peeling away all the tape and pulled the wires, clipped them and connected the new harness. Started the car and VIOLA! The car idled perfectly just like it should have. Took it around the block and shifted smooth as butter and I could feel a gain in power back for sure!
Here are some pics of my handy work. I wanted to make sure that when I was done that it would look like I never even touched it, I'd say I did quite a good job wouldn't you say?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by jwjones
. I wanted to make sure that when I was done that it would look like I never even touched it, I'd say I did quite a good job wouldn't you say?
JW, Your Monte Carlo Family is so proud of you ~>4-Sure Good Job, looks like you never even touched it.

It's great that you have the knowledge & talent to do your
own work & save Big $'s

Last edited by Space; 02-29-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cool Glad you got it all fixed up. Ihave heard the coolant elbows can be a real PITA to change. what do you think?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 AM

Thank you Space!

No they really aren't that bad to replace, once you get the belt off, tensioner off, and alternator off it real easy they literally pop right off. However what the How-To threads don't tell you is that you WILL lose coolant when doing this, so buy about 1 jug of coolant. The tensioner has a jacket the coolant passes through to get to the LIM which is where the elbows are attached. Really all you have to do is make sure they line up correctly and push them in. Out of the whole precedure I had to remove 8 bolts and 2 of which were what held up the coolant overflow. There is one bolt hidden on the tensioner towards the firewall, you'll have to feel around for it but you'll find it eventually. Overall I wouldn't mind doing the job again, was pretty easy.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well that's good I have never changed mine yet so i'm sure someday they will go bad. I think I'm gonna buy a set so I have them.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Good work man,anything you can do your self to save money is always great

Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Well that's good I have never changed mine yet so i'm sure someday they will go bad. I think I'm gonna buy a set so I have them.
I have a set in my trunk in a milk-crate along with all my other "possible problem solutions".

I would recommend doing a flush when changing the elbows, this way you don't have to add new coolant with old coolant.