Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Interior LED lighting (How-To on page 3)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:18 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Interior LED lighting (How-To on page 3)

Well since im donw with the engine, interior time. So i painted the center console silver, but it needs to be repainted. Are there any parts i can replace in the interior to make it feel a bit less plasticy?

Edit from Taz:Editted name of thread.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
Default RE: Interior touch up

I'm doing the same thing right now on my 99. I'm painting all the plastic trim (fake wood), door handle trims, window switch trim, speaker grills, heater vents, guage face, and center console silver. I'll take a pic to show you what it looks like if you like.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:55 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

sounds good

Old 12-06-2008, 08:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

You can cover parts with real leather, suede, or something like Alcantra. Thats what LOTS of people are doing with Solstices and Skys. Custom interiors. We have a guy named Joe in Atlanta that would probably be MORE than happy to accomodate your needs. Just send him the panels. Here is his link: JPM Coachworks

I have seen his work in person. He is AWESOME!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

now there is an amazing idea

Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

i found some leather on ebay, i could try spraying it on myself

Old 12-06-2008, 11:33 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member
Old 12-27-2008, 07:51 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Ok so i got the single LEDs in the air vents and the 12 inch strips. I used streetglow and the switch panel, and put all the wires in the little area right under the dash, behind the cigarette lighter. I ran the positive end of power from the rear cigarette lighter at first but it must have blown a fuse. So i took the positive wire from and ran it to the fuse box (the fuse that runs the cigarette lighter) and the negative to the negative from then now broken rear cig lighter which ill have to try to fix now. If you do use these products i suggest using some speaker wire, the dual kind, and extending all of the wires because nothing reaches.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Enzo354

Ok so i got the single LEDs in the air vents and the 12 inch strips. I used streetglow and the switch panel, and put all the wires in the little area right under the dash, behind the cigarette lighter. I ran the positive end of power from the rear cigarette lighter at first but it must have blown a fuse. So i took the positive wire from and ran it to the fuse box (the fuse that runs the cigarette lighter) and the negative to the negative from then now broken rear cig lighter which ill have to try to fix now. If you do use these products i suggest using some speaker wire, the dual kind, and extending all of the wires because nothing reaches.

How did you wire the leds into the vents. like did you mount them a ceratin way and how did you run the wire to them, because i might have to copy off you on this.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Since i have my control panel i nthe middle, i ran one wire off under the steering coumn area and over up into the vent. I had t remove the main dash panel to get acces to the vents, but where it splits, one goes into the panel, and the actually vent goes back, i went about 3 inches back from that split so that the light has a good space to split up. The other vents i did the same thing, but around the other side. Then the vent way to the passenger side door i really didnt feel like deploying an airbag, so i just put it in the defrost vent.
I also suggest using super glue to mount the lights because the 3m tape it comes with just isnt sticky enough and it falls off when it gets cold. http://streetglow.com/site/led.adjledsingles.php
For the most part it took me about an hour and a half to put them in, and wiring them all to one source was easy. It might be trickier if you dont want to see the actual bulb, mines only visible a bit, but it helps the light be brighter.

Quick Reply: Interior LED lighting (How-To on page 3)