Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ignition system help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Default ignition system help

This is my first post. I will appreciate any help.
I have only owned this car about a month and wouldn't you know as soon as the 30 day dealer warranty expires the SES light is on. It is giving me a misfire on cylinder number 5 code. I can't remember the exact code cause Autozone pulled it for me. I replaced the spark plug and wire and even the coil. It is still doing it and the car starts missing really bad at about 4500 rpms and stops pulling, then the check engine light starts flashing on and off til I let off then it just stays on. It goes back off if I am driving it normal but when I hammer down to get on interstate and the rpms reach 4500 it does it again and the light flashes and then stays on for awhile. I am considering replacing the ignition control module next unless someone has a better idea.
Zack

Old 10-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Default RE: ignition system help

If your getting the same code for the same cylinder, it could be an injector problem. What year and motor?

Old 10-21-2006, 10:28 PM

its an 01 with the 3.8 and 81K on it

Old 10-21-2006, 11:16 PM

I would suspect an injector.....

BTW, welcome to MCF...

Old 10-22-2006, 12:02 AM

Thanks for the input and the welcome. Autozone can test the control module so I will pull it and take it there to be tested tomorrow and if it tests ok I will purchase a new injector and just replace it. I figure it has to be in either the injector or the plug, wire, coil or module and after testing the module and replacing the injector I will have done everything I know to do. So if it comes back I will just have to let a repair shop stick it to me and figure it out. I will keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't come to that.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:30 AM

It could also be bad compression, but I would also suspect the injector.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:05 PM

I removed the ignition control module this morning and had it tested at autozone and it tested fine. I removed the plastic engine cover and checked the wiring and plugs on my injectors and it all looked ok so I am going to take it to a shop and have them check the injectors. Hopefully thats all it is and it wont cost me an arm and a leg.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:46 PM

hello gents im new here also i have the exact same issue with my monte 2002 ss and i am stuck help

Old 08-28-2008, 11:44 PM

did u try everything that was previously suggested in the thread? if not please do so...if u have and still have problems come on back welcome to mcf by the way

Old 08-29-2008, 08:03 PM

If your SES light is flashing I believe it means not only that there is a misfire or the the car is running severely lean with the fuel mixture....I'm not sure though. I would agree with an injector.

Quick Reply: ignition system help