Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

4th Gen ('81-'88): Ignition key stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Default Ignition key stuck

I have an '86 SS with a '69 Camaro 350sbc 300hp and a hydromatic 200th transmission that I bought a few months ago and it's been my project/daily driver I went to the store today and when I got there I had some "stickiness" with the ignition I wiggled the key and it released and I was able to remove the key but when I got home I parked and couldn't get the key out the steering wheel isn't locked but the ignition won't go into the lock position at first it wouldn't start or go into lock but I could rotate it in between the two I tried wiggling the key and cylinder I sprayed a bit of Wd-40 and now I can start the car but I still can't remove the key please if anyone could help soon would be great thanks

Old 06-22-2015, 07:39 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Have you by chance changed from column shift to floor shift?
If you have, Try moving the steering column collar between the wheel and the gauge cluster left and right to see if that will help release the ignition back into the locked position and therefore releasing the key from the ignition.
This happend to me with my 84 awhile back and it was as simple as moving that collar.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:43 PM

I'll give it a try but it has the factory floor shifter and buckets the trans linkage has always been a little funky (doesn't like to go fully into park) but I've never had a problem with the ignition before today

Old 06-22-2015, 07:52 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMethaneChild42
the trans linkage has always been a little funky (doesn't like to go fully into park) but I've never had a problem with the ignition before today
If you have never had a column shifter then moving that plastic column piece will do you no good because it is in no way hooked to your linkage. You will have to pull the shifter shroud off and take a look and get under the car to inspect the linkage from the shifter. That linkage may be off just enough now that it could be causing this. Check to make sure your shifter cable is adjusted properly and not too loose. Try moving the cable a bit to see if that does anything for freeing up your ignition.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by P343
Have you by chance changed from column shift to floor shift?
If you have, Try moving the steering column collar between the wheel and the gauge cluster left and right to see if that will help release the ignition back into the locked position and therefore releasing the key from the ignition.
This happend to me with my 84 awhile back and it was as simple as moving that collar.
Just tried it but still no luck I'm gonna try again when my ol lady gets home maybe with her moving it while I try the key will work

Old 06-22-2015, 07:58 PM

If you have never had a column shifter then moving that plastic column piece will do you no good because it is in no way hooked to your linkage. You will have to pull the shifter shroud off and take a look and get under the car to inspect the linkage from the shifter. That linkage may be off just enough now that it could be causing this. Check to make sure your shifter cable is adjusted properly and not too loose. Try moving the cable a bit to see if that does anything for freeing up your ignition.
I tried moving the shift linkage from under the car earlier and it only moved maybe about a quarter inch back and forth but I'll see if my ol lady can pull it out while I'm underneath the car this is just really bugging me cause I'm about to leave to see my family and I won't be back home for 2-3 days and I really don't wanna leave the key in the ignition while I'm gone but I really appreciate the help Thanks

Old 06-22-2015, 08:02 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

You could always pull the battery out or pull off the distributor cap.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:08 PM

You could always pull the battery out or pull off the distributor cap.
Yea if I can't get it out that's my plan I live in a fairly nice neighborhood in a nice town but after catching people trying to steal my old truck like 6-7 times I'm not taking a chance especially when i had been trying to get a monte SS since I got my permit to drive lol

Old 06-22-2015, 08:12 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hopefully you can get the key out with some assistance with moving that linkage so you don't have to do any of that other stuff.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 PM

Hopefully you can get the key out with some assistance with moving that linkage so you don't have to do any of that other stuff.
Still couldn't get it out even with messing with the linkage I think I might just pull the column out of my 83 cutlass and use that but hopefully it doesn't come to that

Quick Reply: 4th Gen ('81-'88): Ignition key stuck