Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

How to get Inner tie rod clamp off without tearing bellows?

Old 08-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Default How to get Inner tie rod clamp off without tearing bellows?

Trying to replace inner tie rod but cannot get the clamp on the Bellows boot off

Old 08-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Should just be one of those pesky spring clamps on each end. They can be a pain in the tail. Just gotta work at it, maybe even break it off . you can go back with regular worm clamps or use zip ties to secure the boot back.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Default Tie rod boot clamp.

So if you so inclined, get piece if 3/8 steel brake/fuel line. Cut flare off. Flatten end. Bending in gentle curve down so as to miss boot but engage crimp on oetiker clamp (https://edco-distributing.myshopify.com/products/17-0-stepless-clamp-oetiker-bag-of-100?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0K7NBRC7ARIsAEaqLRGbgORYajLNwmqZ-qaEX-s6Yn9GPX0hEksHvaVLHWUhGIol60Ko7KkaAlAHEALw_wcB) if you see the raised area of thus clamp it's squeezed from both sides of the raised area. Simply engaging that area and sharply driving it inward towards center of car will cause clamp to release, also it destroys clamp but just use long zip tie, making sure it goes under vent tube port and tube is properly engaged on both sides or water can get in. I made my own tools decades ago. I am 30+ yes tech and have been front end tech for same amount.

Search this Thread