Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

How to change ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Default How to change ATF?

This might sound stupid...but how do you change the transmission fluid in a 97 Monte Carlo. I'd like to do it myself if it's feasible considering they want almost $100 for the service. What all is entailed in changing the transmission fluid? Does anyone have a step by step process? Like, where is everything located and how do I do it...specifically? If I actually did this myself, I'd definitely be happy with myself..LOL.

Jon

Old 08-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Default RE: How to change ATF?

Jon,

Changing the fluid is pretty easy, messy but pretty easy. At the bottom of your trans is the pan that is held on the the trans case by several bolts. You'll need some sort of a catch basin of some sort. Remove all the botls, the pan should drop, let the fluid drain out, replace the filter element, replace the gasket with a new one and bolt it back into place. Make sure you clean out the pan real good before it goes back on the car. Replace the fluid, crank her up, put it in drive, reverse then park. Double check the fluid level and your done. It's really pretty easy. Sorry I can't help you with exact details but this will give you the basics.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:24 AM

ORIGINAL: SophicSage

This might sound stupid...but how do you change the transmission fluid in a 97 Monte Carlo. I'd like to do it myself if it's feasible considering they want almost $100 for the service. What all is entailed in changing the transmission fluid? Does anyone have a step by step process? Like, where is everything located and how do I do it...specifically? If I actually did this myself, I'd definitely be happy with myself..LOL.

Jon
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that service includes a tranny flush, right? Cause I was quoted $89 for tranny drain, flush, filter and fill at Goodyear.

I have heard of other vehicles sometimes having issues after getting the tranny flushed, has anyone heard any nightmares about the Monte Carlo tranny and tranny flushes?

Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 AM

You'll just want to make sure you flush it every 30K or drop the pan.

Our trans are ok to flush, other transmissions have catch screens in place throughout the trans to collect debris, in some tans these have been known to come loose during a flush and get into areas it should not causing major damage. I asked my trans guy about this and my trans being one of these before I started with the flushes.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass

You'll just want to make sure you flush it every 30K or drop the pan.

Our trans are ok to flush, other transmissions have catch screens in place throughout the trans to collect debris, in some tans these have been known to come loose during a flush and get into areas it should not causing major damage. I asked my trans guy about this and my trans being one of these before I started with the flushes.
cool, thanks for the info. I feel better now.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:13 AM

Well heres a bit of advice or rather a lil word of caution...if your car has more than say 75000 miles on it or so and te trans fluid has never been changed...DONT change it...i know that sounds silly and you would think youd be doing nothing but good by getting nice clean fluid in the trans and a new filter but your not. I work at a place that does trans flushes and from past experiences if you change it your asking for trouble. If the trans is working fine as it is now and the fliud has never been changed i advise ya to just let it be....any damage done to it from neglet of burnt fluid is already done...changing it now isnt gonna make the seals new...the bands regrow friction material, or the valve body become all unscored in there bores for the shift valves. and trans fliud is also hydraulic fluid, if the fluid is burnt its because of a reason..probably more so than just normal breakdown from age.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: 02montels

Well heres a bit of advice or rather a lil word of caution...if your car has more than say 75000 miles on it or so and te trans fluid has never been changed...DONT change it...i know that sounds silly and you would think youd be doing nothing but good by getting nice clean fluid in the trans and a new filter but your not. I work at a place that does trans flushes and from past experiences if you change it your asking for trouble. If the trans is working fine as it is now and the fliud has never been changed i advise ya to just let it be....any damage done to it from neglet of burnt fluid is already done...changing it now isnt gonna make the seals new...the bands regrow friction material, or the valve body become all unscored in there bores for the shift valves. and trans fliud is also hydraulic fluid, if the fluid is burnt its because of a reason..probably more so than just normal breakdown from age.
subtract about 44k from that amount and that's how many miles I have.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

ORIGINAL: 02montels

subtract about 44k from that amount and that's how many miles I have.
I've heard this as well after the trans hitting a certain mileage. Good info. Since you work for a place that does trans flushes, what are your mileage suggestions for flushing?

Old 08-12-2005, 01:42 AM

Well if the car usually has more than 75000 and hasnt been serviced meaning the trans has never been flushed or the pan dropped and new fluid we tend to explain that and recomend to a customer its not a good idea...some still want it done but we stress to them there is a 50/50 chance problems may occur shortly after. It seems to me if you havent started doing them right away say like every 30k or so the damage of dirty contaminated fluid has already set in, the idea is to change it when scheduled to prevent problems. Kinda like of you changed your oil once a year or every 12000 miles...by then what does it matter..theres more damage already done than clean oil will fix or further prevent

Old 08-12-2005, 01:44 AM

Sorry..i forget to tell ya...some manufactures of the car recomend every 30000 to change it others say 60000, same goes for the company that sells the machine you use in yoru shop. I would say 30000 would seem right...you figure thats 2 years or maybe a lil more that the fluid has had time to collect debris and normal wear mateial frm the trans.

Quick Reply: How to change ATF?