Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

High Mileage LTZ

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 06:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default High Mileage LTZ

Hey gang.

Just a small update. I have 171k on my '06 LTZ.

Had my Rack and Pinion replaced twice this year and had my PS pump replaced twice in a month.

Slighty disappointed with the many problems with Generation 7 steering....but extremely happy with my drive train.

I also still have the original ceramic brakes and my mechanic says I still have plenty of mileage left.

Got a coupon from the original dealer offering $99 per axle for ceramic pad replacement.

My mechanic says it would more expensive if he had to buy ceramics at wholesale with his labor.

Just concerned if the dealer would say, "we can't replace the pads unless we xxxx amount of dollars to your brake system.

Any dealer thoughts.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Most of they time they expect that you will need more parts than just pads so they can get more money from you. That may not always be the case but they are in business to make money. A brake shop would be about that much per axle so with ceramic pads I say its a good deal but with any shop I would say make sure if they say something is bad, have them show you what is bad don't just take there word for it.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 PM

my steering has alot of crazy sounds at low speeds i also have the ltz does your lzt shift hard when you put the foot down 2 hard?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM

I recently replaced the pads on my 01. It did not need rears but since I had it apart I did them anyway. I never turn the rotors unless they are warped (pulsating pedal) or squeaking. Otherwise just shaving away good metal. Less to dissipate heat and the more you turn them the sooner you need new ones when they are too thin to turn.

I flushed out the brake fluid and some of my power steering fluid too to hopefully prolong steering components.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:49 PM

Thats some high miles on a pretty new car. how'd you rack on that many?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

JEEZ, you are catching my 2000! :p

Barely using the brakes? You must just cruise on the highway for hours at a time.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Most of they time they expect that you will need more parts than just pads so they can get more money from you. That may not always be the case but they are in business to make money. A brake shop would be about that much per axle so with ceramic pads I say its a good deal but with any shop I would say make sure if they say something is bad, have them show you what is bad don't just take there word for it.

Thanks, great advise. FWIW, I was a writer at a brake shop for a couple of years. That was a long time ago. I remember that we were always pushed by the owners to sell a "complete system flush."

Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by monte06ltz
my steering has alot of crazy sounds at low speeds i also have the ltz does your lzt shift hard when you put the foot down 2 hard?
Hi, my LTZ shifts hard when I come to a rolling stop and then get on the accelerator pedal. I was told my fron motor mount was gone. Mkes sense, because I got a new transmission at 98k free on my GMPP.

Steering problems though are very serious and should be handled quickly. My first rack and pinion was down to one mount...considering it has something like 6 or 8 mounts.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo
I recently replaced the pads on my 01. It did not need rears but since I had it apart I did them anyway. I never turn the rotors unless they are warped (pulsating pedal) or squeaking. Otherwise just shaving away good metal. Less to dissipate heat and the more you turn them the sooner you need new ones when they are too thin to turn.

I flushed out the brake fluid and some of my power steering fluid too to hopefully prolong steering components.
I don't believe in turning the rotors unless the surface is extremely uneven.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
Thats some high miles on a pretty new car. how'd you rack on that many?
I live in Los Angeles??????/

Quick Reply: High Mileage LTZ