Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): High Beam warning and turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default High Beam warning and turn signal problem

I'm having some electrical problems this week, on the message center I get a light High Beam Out, but it is working fine, and when I try the turn signals both sides flash at the same time. All of the bulbs seem to be working. I read somewhere it may be a broken ground, or something with the fog light ground, anyone know where these grounds attach? A photo would be amazing!
Thanks
Dave

Old 08-01-2018, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Default Fixed it!

All fixed. After some more searching the site I found others that had the same problem, so I pulled on the ground above the drivers side headlight and the small wire came right off of the terminal. So I cut the large wire and put a crimp terminal on both wires and it worked!
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo.../#&gid=1&pid=1

Old 08-02-2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by DAVESS2002
All fixed. After some more searching the site I found others that had the same problem, so I pulled on the ground above the drivers side headlight and the small wire came right off of the terminal. So I cut the large wire and put a crimp terminal on both wires and it worked!
Had I seen this post in time I would have suggested just that. I had similar electrical issues on my 2002 and pulling on that ground wire caused it to fall out.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member

Yes glad I read that, the day before I looked at that ground and it was all green corrosion. I took off the bolt and sanded it down to bare metal, as well as the terminal connected to the two wires and they looked fine. The small wire must have been broken inside the plastic insulation as after reading the article I went out and pulled on the wire and it broke right off!

Old 06-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Hey man, I'm having the same issue! Just the High Beam Out light when all.my bulbs in my headlights work. Is it possible to show a picture of the gorund wire that was faulty?

Old 06-23-2019, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member

Here it is, right next to the drivers side headlight. My headlight is already out but no need to remove anything to fix the connection.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:29 PM

Here it is, right next to the drivers side headlight. My headlight is already out but no need to remove anything to fix the connection.
I have a question before I fix mine: when redoing the wires in a crimp terminal, can they be put together in one terminal hole and be crimped together? Instead of being separate in their own terminal? Cause my factory terminal has the 2 split terminal for each wire

Old 08-12-2019, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member

Works fine if you wrap them together and use one crimp, the electricity will flow through the two wires into the single connector to the bolt same as the original one did.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:35 PM

Works fine if you wrap them together and use one crimp, the electricity will flow through the two wires into the single connector to the bolt same as the original one did.
Okay so I can put them both into a single terminal connector, great. Do I have to twist the wires together or just simply insert them both into the connector, then crimp it?

Old 08-14-2019, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member

Either way should work, I stripped about 1/2 inch of the insulation off of both wires and twisted the ends together to hold it better when I put the connector on. That keeps the small wire from coming loose later if your crimp isn't tight enough.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): High Beam warning and turn signal problem