Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

hey, suspension question 04 monte SS..long read..sorry guys.. :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Default hey, suspension question 04 monte SS..long read..sorry guys.. :)

hey whats up, i think the shocks on my monte are goin bad or already bad or if the problem is even the shocks, well like i said my 1st post in the newbie area, my car when ibought it it had 255/35/20 in the rear and 245/35/20 in the front, the rear tires scrape whenever there are more than 2 people in the car, now i dont know if the guy before me did anythin to the suspension i dont know if he lowered it or not, but anyways back to the problem..whenever i make a left or right turn, mostly a right turn the rear tires scrape nasty on the top of the wheel well, i realize the tires are massive but im assumin that wouldntbe the real problem as i know monte's can handle 22's stock..eww disgusting i know i hate that, but the 20's on my car actually look decent it doesnt look sloppy , bt anyways like i said nasty tire scrapes and it sucks cuz it is chewin up the sides of my tires pretty bad..im thinkin of buying the KYB AGX sport adjustable struts, from 3800performance.com, but i dont know if that will solve the problem. as maybe its not the shocks, i also would like new brakes as my e-brake isnt working too well, any info on where i can get nice breaks?..slotted or cross drilled?..i heard slotted was better. again any info would be really appreciated i just wanna get this monte running like a champ before i start with the better performance mods.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Default RE: hey, suspension question 04 monte SS..long read..sorry guys.. :)

Hey there,

You definately need to get your struts and springs checked, cause if Montes can in fact handle 22s ok, then the 20s should def not have a prob. I would def say that stiffer springs and a good quality performance strut are in order, then I would think that you wouldnt have that prob anymore.

As to the brakes, I would go with Bendix. I always went with those on my cars and I always got very long wear and the rotors made by them dont warp nearly as easily as the other brands like wearever, valucraft, duralast and raybestos.

Hope this helps you and hope u get ur prob fixed!

Old 08-16-2008, 10:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The wheels and tires themselves arent alot taller in the back. They are in fact alot wider though. They may be a little too wide to fit in the wheel wells, thats probably why the sidewalls are getting torn up.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:32 AM

hey thanks for the feedback guys. and mrl390 i know what ya mean. i think it just might be the shocks though they maybe have gone too soft?... i dunno.. but im definitely gonna get the shocks n struts kit now. hopefully that will fix it.. well ..i'll keep ya guys updated and see if that fixes the problem. thank alot guys i appreciate it.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 PM

a 245 tire will catch the outer fender in the back. I speak from experience. So I'd pretty much guarantee that a 255 will catch no matter what you do.

I'm running a 20" rim with a 42mm offset and 245/35/20 rubber. I got the Eibach springs and the KYB AGX adjustable struts set, on the back pretty much set to it's stiffest setting to keep the car from settling.

If you're trouble is happening when the truck is rockin back and forth, you could try a set of stiffer sway bars, or sway bar end links. I've got the end links, but havent had a chance to install them yet.

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...nks-p-115.html

They are HEAVY compared to the stock units. So I'm hopin they help a bit.