Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

hesitation when going down the road

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Default hesitation when going down the road

so something weird happened a few days ago, i was going down the road going 70 mph at right around 1500 to 1800 rpms and all of the sudden the car started to hesitate fluctuating 600 rpms for a good minute then it stopped. the monte has 160,000 miles just put new tires on, and dual exhaust. when i was driving on the ramp for my tires (i'm a lube tech at a chrysler dealership) i did hit part of my exhaust pipe. could i have pulled something from that little bump? if u can give me any info that would be great

Old 09-19-2010, 02:57 AM

does it still have lack of power?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:42 AM

when it hesitates? yeah, sometimes also it doesn't feel like i have all the power i should

Old 09-19-2010, 08:18 AM

Hi Ryan,
My guess is to check fuel filter ? (when was it last changed). Maybe bad gas ? (It happens) : (
Is it just doing it sporadically ? When was your last tune up ?

Do you only notice it @ 70 MPH or at all speeds ? Does it feel that it's not getting fuel (starvation) ? Or does it feel like it's in the electronics....

Post as much information as you can about your problem...& hopefully one of our expert tech member's can assist...
Good Luck

Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 AM

it may be some thing simple like bad gas or it may be time for a tunr up. as in replace the fuel filter and plugs. if it still does it it may be bad gas. i do have a question did you replace the cat or is it the original? if it is original it may be going bad and only showed up when you hit the bump it showed a problem. but imo i would do the simple things first as in tune up and wait till you can get more gas, and see if it has changed.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:49 PM

i usually fill up at the local shell, so the gas (thank god) isn't bad, im thinkin the fuel filter or its the cat (yes it is the original as is the fuel filter). so i'll replace the filter first. plugs and wires are brand new so thats good. also just cleaned the throttle body for good measure

Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 PM

well i scanned the car at work and i got an o2 sensor bad, cat deficiant, oil pressure sensor, and fuel level sensor. the main one right now is the o2, if i replace that then the cat and if i'm lucky the fuel problem also, but the oil pressure sensor i have no clue what to do about that

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM

ignore the oil pressure sensor. It is a common code, but wont cause issues or a SES light. In a 6 month period, my car will have 200+ fails on the oil pressure sensor circuit.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 PM

Sounds like a catalytic convertor issue-had same simptoms on a 2002 Grand Prix, not there all the time, put on new convertors and cured the issue. (after market cats didnt last, had to put GM convertors on)

Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 PM

the priority as of right now is the fuel problem and then the o2 sensor and cat, which i might just chop off

Quick Reply: hesitation when going down the road