Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Help!!! Speedometer not working right

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Help!!! Speedometer not working right

OK so long story short I accidentally broke the plastic shroud that covers the speedometer cluster NOT the cluster itself. I'm getting it replaced as soon as I can get to LKQ and pull the plastic shroud from another cluster....so here is the problem: I inadvertently touched the speedometer needle when trying to remove a piece of plastic and now when I turn off the car the damn needle goes below 0? I have tried moving it by hand and it goes right back when I turn off the car. I'm not sure what I did to this but if I fix it now the speedometer won't read right. It makes a little sweep down and then up when I start the car but the sweep up doesn't bring it up to 0....it falls short. Thanks for any help!!!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

is the gauge and the car the same? like, does it rev when the gauge shows it?

Old 10-01-2016, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey shawn thanks for the response yes it does and actually I got it fixed. Apparently the stepper motor isn't firmly seated all the way into the cluster and was able to be "rocked" one way or the other so that when the needle did its sweep on startup it was falling short of the 0 mark. I was able to move the stepper motor in the cluster and now it lines up with the 0 mark on startup. Thanks again for responding.