Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Help monte carlo ss 01 won't turn on =[

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:27 AM
Default Help monte carlo ss 01 won't turn on =[

hi everyone im new to this i saw a lot of help here so decided to ask you guys. hope i can get an answer and save up money since i heard Dealerships charge a lot and i have a low budget rite now -__- well i have a Monte Carlo 2001 SS v6 with 200,xxx miles on it had it for over 6 months no problems at all, i got new optima battery ,3 months ago i did lose my keys so i got a new ignition switch and rested the BCM by leaving the key 10 mins method . it turned on fine and everything was working fine. 3 weeks ago it did shut off on a red light but it turned back on rite away and 3 days later it did it again also in a red light after that never again . SO NOW ITS BEEN 3 DAYS it doesn't turn on :'( no Start no Crank. BUT at first it wanted to start was cranking turn key to off then tried again and got a clicking sound from the hood around the passenger side after that NADA no start no crank Radio , Lights , Dashboard work fine . i tried jump start it no results . when i turn the key to acc i get a message Security , Service Vehicle Soon , and Low Fuel which is weird cause i have a tank full barley had put $60 on it . and the weird thing all gauges don't move the battery gauge moves a little but goes back down all gauges are low . Temp , Oil , Battery ,& Fuel . I notice that when i have the key on acc and i press the power window button or brake pedal lights on Dashboard , Message Center , Radio & headlights all faded little bit that you can barley see . i checked all fuses i replaced few fuses i tried new battery . i heard that if its the starter/alternator/fuel pump/solenoide it will crank ? as soon as i turn the key to ON (start) dashboard/lights/radio shuts off no crank at all and since it says Security/Battery/Low Fuel when its on ACC i did the BCM rest again with the 10mins method and noting . i recorded a video i will post it as soon as i upload it . hope i can get an answer thanks everyone and thank you for your time i really appreciate it god bless

Old 07-06-2014, 04:34 PM

Here's the video :'( thank you for your time & help ---->>>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lyju8peu9...704_194151.mp4

Old 07-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Security. That message does not come up on mine, I checked. This is a giveaway that something is going on. If scanned, a P1631 code should be present, if I am right. When my truck does this, I remove the code with a scan tool, and the truck starts. Usually this happens to me when the battery is disconnected, only my code is a P1626 (fuel enable lost). Chances are the ignition lock went bad, the mechanical side. Maybe take the lock out and clean the contacts. Hopefully someone with more experience than I can chime in, and tell me I am full of it.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 PM

I don't think a bad ignition cylinder would cause the low fuel message.
The fuel level wire goes to the PCM according to the wiring diagram I have.
The BCM handles reading the passlock resistance and passes the ok to start to the PCM.

Have you checked all the PCM fuses? It ultimately might be a failing BCM.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron0313
I don't think a bad ignition cylinder would cause the low fuel message.
The fuel level wire goes to the PCM according to the wiring diagram I have.
The BCM handles reading the passlock resistance and passes the ok to start to the PCM.

Have you checked all the PCM fuses? It ultimately might be a failing BCM.
thanks for the reply ! =] no luck yet my car is in the driveway til i get pay thats in a week and a half =/ low on $ but i did check all fuses from PCM to BCM to ignition relay and all that =/ you think its gonna be my computer (PCM) =[ ? should i go buy or rent a OBD II to see if it gives me codes ? if the PCM is bad is it gonna give me a code that says it bad ? thanks for your time once again

Old 07-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No need to purchase a scan tool - you can go to O'Reilly or Autozone and they can perform a scan for free.

Try cleaning your key then performing the security relearn.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
No need to purchase a scan tool - you can go to O'Reilly or Autozone and they can perform a scan for free.

Try cleaning your key then performing the security relearn.

but i can't drive it i can start it im see if i can go rent it thank you =] and i tried to do that and tried a different key and noting hopefully its not the computer PCM ;(

Old 07-12-2014, 04:43 AM

it sounds to me that you have a bad ground wire somewhere. its probably back feeding which is what could be causing the gauges to act funny. check into all your grounds. especially fuel related ones. i have had several bad grounds cause so many problems. if its not that then i would go with either pcm or bcm.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nightmagic11801
it sounds to me that you have a bad ground wire somewhere. its probably back feeding which is what could be causing the gauges to act funny. check into all your grounds. especially fuel related ones. i have had several bad grounds cause so many problems. if its not that then i would go with either pcm or bcm.
Yeah bad grounds can cause funky things.

I had a 2002 Monte LS where all the gauges would go to nothing, low fuel warning, low battery warning, etc would come on while driving and one day it just stopped while driving. Security relearns would not start the car and it was in a fuel lockout condition where the BCM didn't tell the PCM it was ok to start the fuel pump/injectors and wouldn't turn over. Turned out a new BCM and then dealer programming fixed it.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:39 AM

None of the gauges work unless the PCM is working. Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn on the ignition?
The best bet here is to buy or borrow a scan tool and check to see if the PCM even communicates. My bet is that it's dead. It could be a fuse, ground or bad PCM.
PCM controls the starter, fule pump and all of the gauges.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Help monte carlo ss 01 won't turn on =[