Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help! Which hub is it? The left or right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Help! Which hub is it? The left or right?

Here goes! I was working on my car earlier today to correct a "shaking" problem when I drive. Now this shaking only happens around 50 mph - 70 mph (highway speeds) and first thing I thought was "WARPED ROTORS". So I bought me some high performance rotors (with the slotted holes) and ceramic brake pads. I figure, sense its the rotors, I might as well change ALL THE ROTORS and PADS while I'm at it. To make a short story shorter, after taking off the front two rotors I tested to see if the hubs will turn while on jack stands and in drive/reverse. The driver side hub was not moving but the passenger side hub was. Mind bogglin! So I proceed to put the rotors, brake pads back on but I tested the hubs again. In drive/reverse the driver side hub was move but the passenger side hub wasn't. So I put the wheels back on and drove off. Now while the rotors was off, I checked them and they were fine, no physical damage or nothing. The brake pads was in hella good shape as well. So now I'm lost on which hub could it be! Any help would be gladly appreciated!!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Is it shaking only when you apply the brakes, or is it shaking while cruising without the brakes being applied?
There are a few ways to check for bad hub. I'd have to do some searching to find the specifics, but there are ways to figure out which side hub is bad both by checking for in/out play while the car is in the air, and also by listening to the spindle with the wheels in motion.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the reply biggriggs. I thought I had the problem figured it out when I only seen the driver side hub not moving but now I am thinking on which one it is. I know the last time I had a hub problem, the passenger side front hub was going bad to the point of regardless the speed, it was knocking badly. So after that one was replaced then the track off light started flashing on the dashboard. Then the ABS light comes on and the brake light. With the dashboard lite up, the car still rids smooth. Just only shakes very badly at those mention speeds like the front end about to fall out. It does that while driving straight and turning right. But once I pass those sppeds, then the car rids fine...smh!!!

Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 AM

When you're talking about moving the wheels, are you spinning the wheels or pushing them in/out against the axle?
If the issue is vibration while moving, then it is definitely not warped brake rotors (warped rotors would only cause vibration when you apply the brakes) and is likely either a wheel hub, half-shaft, or cv joint.

Best of luck,
-Riggs.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:13 PM

The wheels was freely rotating on their own. I didn't touch them at all. So how will I know if its the wheel hub, half-shalf or cv joint? Do I just guess at it and start replacing old parts with new ones (don't know if I can do that one with a limited supply of funds)?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:08 PM

cv joint will make a clicking or popping while turning and going over bumps and out of balanced tires will cause a vibration and the inboard joint (plunge joint) will make a cluncking noise during acceleration. It can be a seized hub bearing. so what other symptoms do u have while driving?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 PM

Well, after drving today! I noticed that the shaking has reached passed 70MPH and now reaching 75 - 80mph. My car is in desperate need of a wheel alignment because it sways to the right instantly. Which while I drive, the front end sounds like its about to detach itself from the bolts (of whateva is holding it together) and drop on the ground. My brake light is out (as I stated earlier)! Like I said though, while driving normal city speeds, my car still vears off to the right (bad alignment) but no shaking nor no clicking or clackin sound....

But when I do go over small humps, the front end does sound loose to were the frame is and the front end clashing together!

Old 12-17-2010, 06:43 PM

yeah u need an alignment! the noise sounds like a f'ed up strut or ur sway bar links or bushings are worn out. if u grab thr sway bar and move it up and down theres suppose to be no play in it. one of my rear sway bar brackets detached because it was rusty as hell now it sound like theres something metal jumping around in my trunk. now with the struts i also have a toyota celica and when i went over bumps it will it will shake bad and kinda vier to one side it too also sounded like my wheel was gonna fall off and fall to the ground. i took out the strut assembly, compressed the coil spring and the strut was busted with oil running down the side. oil is not suppose to leak out of the strut if theres some on urs then replace asap

Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Well I know I have many things wrong with that car, Im not giving up on it at all. Just go take me some time to repair it, unless I am able to repair it myself. Even though you didn't correct me with the word "vier", I STAND corrected on how I spelled "vear" in description of my car...LOL
Besides that, I hope its not all what you have experience wit your cars. That shaking is really getting me to the point to turn it over to a shop, close my eyes and pray on a AFFORDABLE price... Other than that, if the problem can be pin-pointed then I know for a fact I can fix it. So sense the cv joint is ruled out, then the hub or the half-shaft could be the problem. If its the hub, then I wouldn't know which side will need to be repaired. When it comes to the half-shaft, I don't even know what that is...LOL

Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 PM

LOL... I dont kno how to spell "veir" "vear" ???????? anyways its hard to tell whats the problem with just a noise especially when it comes to suspension. LOL....the half shaft is that metal tube that the cv joint is connected to that drive the wheels!!! well i hope u find the problem and keep me posted

Quick Reply: Help! Which hub is it? The left or right?