Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help headlights saga- can rear view mirror short affect these

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:07 AM
1 Year Member
Default Help headlights saga- can rear view mirror short affect these

Hi and continued HELP. Went back to stereo place, they ran diagnostics, checked wires and no cause for headlights being out after they put in a new aftermarket backup camera/pioneer radio. When I was ready to leave and go to another shop the headlights came on for no reason. I told the guys my rear view mirror lights were working for the first time in years, but the mirror had gone foggy in the past week with oil dropping out. When they unplugged the mirror and plugged it back in the headlights went out again. We put in a replacement mirror, headlights still don't work. The mirror lights don't work either, not sure if it's bulbs or other. Any possibility the mirror had a short which affected the headlights, unrelated to the new radio installation. Getting desperate, now sitting at auto electric shop with lights periodically turning off and on.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be the abient light sensor/daytime running light circuit. Check for code B2648.
The sensor is in the center of the dash and may have been upset during the radio replacement. The liquid in the mirror is from the liquid in the bulbs that allow the slow illumination. It tends to leak with age.

Here's a couple videos:

Old 01-03-2017, 11:45 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the response. The only recent code is B2602, daytime run light control. It's in the history. I shot a quick picture of the screen, don't know how old that is. I'm at auto electric place and he says it may be a relay. Got my fingers crossed but not optimistic.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member

That narrows things down a bit to that circuit.

Here's a guide and schematics:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Headlights Control.jpg (1.90 MB, 3 views)
Old 01-03-2017, 12:00 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks much. The auto electric place has part of the dash apart now. I don't know much about these things. Depending on what happens I'll repost. Thanks much for our help

Old 01-03-2017, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member

Currious to know what they find. Please keep us posted.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:27 PM
1 Year Member

They replaced the headlight relay. It worked the whole time in the shop. While driving home the headlights stopped working again. Back at the shop. Depressing.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:34 AM
1 Year Member

Latest follow up. Went back to shop yesterday after I was 5 miles out and headlight quit. Of course it came back on and never quit again. Test drove for 90 minutes at the shop and parked here, flicked the multswitch 100 times, starts it, fobbed it, covered the light sensor. Every possible move and it worked. Drove home 7 miles, then out again at night and worked perfectly. So maybe the relay change helped since it wasn't working before that. And maybe it's the computer or switch just waiting until I have a policeman behind me at night (as happened 1.5 yrs ago when I learned I needed a new multi switch. I'll post any new exciting events.