Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

help did i mess up my Monte??

Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default help did i mess up my Monte??

so this morning after I washed my car I started it to move it and it was making a noise almost like a lifter but many times louder or exhaust manifold leak.. I looked and there is coolant on the drive. the sound was coming from the side where the transaxle is.. and that's the source of the coolant leak its running down onto the I guess would be called bell housing and onto the drive. I'm thinking blown head gasket. I checked the oil and seems to be clean. I had it taken on a flatbed to a garage I do trust but I don't think they will get to it till Monday. in that time it's going to kill me wondering what's wrong with my car its a 03 SS with 3800 Series II and 35,027 miles on her.. thanks guys...

Old 05-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Blair1955
so this morning after I washed my car I started it to move it and it was making a noise almost like a lifter but many times louder or exhaust manifold leak.. I looked and there is coolant on the drive. the sound was coming from the side where the transaxle is.. and that's the source of the coolant leak its running down onto the I guess would be called bell housing and onto the drive. I'm thinking blown head gasket. I checked the oil and seems to be clean. I had it taken on a flatbed to a garage I do trust but I don't think they will get to it till Monday. in that time it's going to kill me wondering what's wrong with my car its a 03 SS with 3800 Series II and 35,027 miles on her.. thanks guys...
It sounds like the coolant elbows are rotting from the inside out....
Tell the shop to warm up the car and then pressure test the cooling system... It may show up as a leak in and around the coolant elbows....
In 2006 Gm replaced the plastic ones with Aluminum ones....
You can buy these from any local auto parts.... DONOT use the orings provided...use aftermarket orings as they will be slightly thicker and provide a better seal.... Also while you have it apart you might as well replace the Upper and Lower intake gaskets.... for the upper unfortunately.. that gasket will still be Nylon... However, the lower can be replaced with an Aluminum one made by Felpro.... Once you have all this done...your cooling system woes will disappear... Just be sure to bleed out all of the air from the system... and you will be all set... also while once you get it all reassembled...be sure to flush the cooling system out completely to reduce any chance of having any over heating issues after the repair is made.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
It sounds like the coolant elbows are rotting from the inside out....
Tell the shop to warm up the car and then pressure test the cooling system... It may show up as a leak in and around the coolant elbows....
In 2006 Gm replaced the plastic ones with Aluminum ones....
You can buy these from any local auto parts.... DONOT use the orings provided...use aftermarket orings as they will be slightly thicker and provide a better seal.... Also while you have it apart you might as well replace the Upper and Lower intake gaskets.... for the upper unfortunately.. that gasket will still be Nylon... However, the lower can be replaced with an Aluminum one made by Felpro.... Once you have all this done...your cooling system woes will disappear... Just be sure to bleed out all of the air from the system... and you will be all set... also while once you get it all reassembled...be sure to flush the cooling system out completely to reduce any chance of having any over heating issues after the repair is made.

thanks bud..I hope that's it is I heard the same sound two days ago but after I drove it a couple of blocks the noise went away and there wasn't any leakage then.. so maybe you're right. I was going to do a coolant flush this month anyway just because of the age of the car.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:24 PM

5 Year Member

thanks bud..I hope that's it is I heard the same sound two days ago but after I drove it a couple of blocks the noise went away and there wasn't any leakage then.. so maybe you're right. I was going to do a coolant flush this month anyway just because of the age of the car.
I'm curious....

In the cooling system overflow tank....

Or even under the Oil Cap or the inside edge of the valve cover... do you see any gunk resembling a milk shake coloring? If so... then the ticking is caused by coolant in the oil... Thus starting to collapse a lifter...once the system pumps up again and the coolant is removed from that area the ticking stops.... Me personally.. I would no longer drive it until you fix the coolant leak problem.. As you may end up hurting the motor and causeing some serious damage and or completely blow up the motor....

Once you do the repairs...
I would not use dexcool anti freeze! Just be sure...you completely flush the system out before you put in brand new antifreeze!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-02-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member

I'm curious....

In the cooling system overflow tank....

Or even under the Oil Cap or the inside edge of the valve cover... do you see any gunk resembling a milk shake coloring? If so... then the ticking is caused by coolant in the oil... Thus starting to collapse a lifter...once the system pumps up again and the coolant is removed from that area the ticking stops.... Me personally.. I would no longer drive it until you fix the coolant leak problem.. As you may end up hurting the motor and causeing some serious damage and or completely blow up the motor....

Once you do the repairs...
I would not use dexcool anti freeze! Just be sure...you completely flush the system out before you put in brand new antifreeze!

that was one of the first things I did was to pull the dipstick to check for coolant in the crankcase and it was clean.. just changed to Royal Purple and its clean, of course this morning I shut off the car as soon as I saw coolant leaking it ran for less than a minute.. I guess a better way to explain the noise is more like a water pump going like when the bearings go. but isn't on that side of the motor and is in back (transaxle) the bank facing the firewall .. I could see where its wet where the head is fastened to the block. why I was thinking head gasket.. I called the garage where I wanted it looked at and they asked if I could drive it there I told them I didn't think it was a good idea and I called for a flatbed.. just in case its leaking into the cylinder. don't know how many hrs to pull head and replace gasket? I got to believe no more than 3.. tow truck driver says he's seen intake manifold gaskets go out on 3800 motors but I don't think that would make a noise like I heard ..

Old 05-02-2014, 03:47 PM

5 Year Member

that was one of the first things I did was to pull the dipstick to check for coolant in the crankcase and it was clean.. just changed to Royal Purple and its clean, of course this morning I shut off the car as soon as I saw coolant leaking it ran for less than a minute.. I guess a better way to explain the noise is more like a water pump going like when the bearings go. but isn't on that side of the motor and is in back (transaxle) the bank facing the firewall .. I could see where its wet where the head is fastened to the block. why I was thinking head gasket.. I called the garage where I wanted it looked at and they asked if I could drive it there I told them I didn't think it was a good idea and I called for a flatbed.. just in case its leaking into the cylinder. don't know how many hrs to pull head and replace gasket? I got to believe no more than 3.. tow truck driver says he's seen intake manifold gaskets go out on 3800 motors but I don't think that would make a noise like I heard ..
Unfortunately pulling the dipstick doesn't count.... Like the old days....

The tell tail sign is like I mentioned before...
Brown (Milk shake) gunk in the over flow bottle of the cooling system ..(Radiator overflow)and to also check in and around the oil cap and valve cover...

Maybe... you got lucky and none has flowed into the motor as of yet...
So, That leaves me with the coolant elbows ... how large was the puddle of
anti freeze on the ground?

How long have you had the Monte? Did you buy it from a private person or from a dealer? If it was a low toned tick... and sounded more like a thud VS a tick..It maybe a rod knock and or possibly a wrist pin...

But if it sounded more like a clicking/ticking sound..then its a rocker...
Does it misfire? Maybe its a broken bent pushrod and or rocker(broken)

But you said it disappears so im leaning towards a collapsing lifter and a ticking rocker arm due to low oil pressure...

How many miles on it since the last oil change? if its over 3000 miles... Its time to change it!

Since you see coolant at the upper intake ... Its definitely a UIM leak (Upper intake manifold) .... Like mentioned previously... I would also do the LIM (Lower intake manifold) gaskets... at the same time to prevent having to do it again... but if you don't.. and just do the upper...when the lower blows out (Its also nylon) stock from the factory... You will once again have to buy a new upper as well... (There not reuseable)..

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-02-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member

Unfortunately pulling the dipstick doesn't count.... Like the old days....

The tell tail sign is like I mentioned before...
Brown (Milk shake) gunk in the over flow bottle of the cooling system ..(Radiator overflow)and to also check in and around the oil cap and valve cover...

Maybe... you got lucky and none has flowed into the motor as of yet...
So, That leaves me with the coolant elbows ... how large was the puddle of
anti freeze on the ground?

How long have you had the Monte? Did you buy it from a private person or from a dealer? If it was a low toned tick... and sounded more like a thud VS a tick..It maybe a rod knock and or possibly a wrist pin...

But if it sounded more like a clicking/ticking sound..then its a rocker...
Does it misfire? Maybe its a broken bent pushrod and or rocker(broken)

But you said it disappears so im leaning towards a collapsing lifter and a ticking rocker arm due to low oil pressure...

How many miles on it since the last oil change? if its over 3000 miles... Its time to change it!

Since you see coolant at the upper intake ... Its definitely a UIM leak (Upper intake manifold) .... Like mentioned previously... I would also do the LIM (Lower intake manifold) gaskets... at the same time to prevent having to do it again... but if you don't.. and just do the upper...when the lower blows out (Its also nylon) stock from the factory... You will once again have to buy a new upper as well... (There not reuseable)..

1. I bought the car new and have changed the oil & filter every 2000.. as of today it has 35,027 on the clock..
2. Could be a rod knocking.. but drove the car day before yesterday and it made a noise right after I started it but quickly went away.. but the noise isn't coming from the top end.
3. the amount of coolant on the ground maybe a third of a cup.. still had coolant in reservoir if that makes a difference..
4. no misfire at all idle is good ..
5. switched to Royal Purple on April 11th, at most it has 100 miles on this oil & filter..

I used to do more of my own work but I'm just not up to it anymore I'm 58, my wrenching days are pretty well over. ..

Last edited by Blair1955; 05-02-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:16 PM

5 Year Member

1. I bought the car new and have changed the oil & filter every 2000.. as of today it has 35,027 on the clock..
2. Could be a rod knocking.. but drove the car day before yesterday and it made a noise right after I started it but quickly went away.. but the noise isn't coming from the top end.
3. the amount of coolant on the ground maybe a third of a cup.. still had coolant in reservoir if that makes a difference..
4. no misfire at all idle is good ..
5. switched to Royal Purple on April 11th, at most it has 100 miles on this oil & filter..

I used to do more of my own work but I'm just not up to it anymore I'm 58, my wrenching days are pretty well over. ..
I got ya beat Blair....lol
I'm 60

Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member

I got ya beat Blair....lol
I'm 60
BTW where in Michigan do you live? I moved from western Wayne county in 06 to TN.. and I miss Michigan sometimes ..

Old 05-02-2014, 07:44 PM

5 Year Member

BTW where in Michigan do you live? I moved from western Wayne county in 06 to TN.. and I miss Michigan sometimes ..
I currently live downriver in Taylor....2 minutes from Metro Airport../ Southfield Pelham exit right after the Big Tire..off I-94

I use to live in Telico Plains Tennesse... Its between Nashville and Knoxville 20 mins from Gatlinburg...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help did i mess up my Monte??