Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:28 PM
Default Help!

I have a 1999 Monte Carlo and when I turn curves and accelerate out of them I get a hestitation. It's like the car stumbles a few times and then it runs fine. It has done it to me once going up a very steep hill. I am trying to avoid taking it to the dealer where I know they will charge me an arm and a leg when it's probably something simple that can be fixed in the driveway. Any ideas of where I should start is appreciated. I have only owned the car a few months, it has 76,000 miles on it. Someone has suggested I try a tps sensor...could this cause it to stumble? Thanks.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Default RE: Help!

Hello, welcome to the forum....

That's an odd one. It sounds as if there may be a loose electrical/vac connection. If it were your TPS is seems like you would notice it all the time not just around corners or steep grades. I would start by checking all of your electrical connections, coil, sparkplug wires, vac lines. When is the last time you've had a tune up? Plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc?

Old 08-09-2005, 12:25 AM

The guy I bought it from had it tuned up before I purchased it. I recently had to replace the alternator on it so maybe something was knoced loose while putting it on because that seems to be when it all started. Thanks for the help

Old 08-09-2005, 03:16 AM

ORIGINAL: montecarlobabe

The guy I bought it from had it tuned up before I purchased it. I recently had to replace the alternator on it so maybe something was knoced loose while putting it on because that seems to be when it all started. Thanks for the help
Hey 'babe, sorry, I just had to do that

Welcome to the board! I'd take it back to the shop where you got the alternator done at and tell them you've been having that problem all of a sudden since the alt got put in, see if they can find anything. It happens. I know when I got my clutch put in on my Accord, the shop forgot to plug in the o2 sensor and I drove the car from the shop to my job with no problem. Then when I left to go home, I got maybe a half mile away before it died. Hopefully your issue is as simple a fix as mine was.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:51 AM

Keep us posted on the end results of what you found to be the cause.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass

Keep us posted on the end results of what you found to be the cause.

yeah, what he said!

And if the shop gives you a hard time, tell them about your 6'4" 285lb boyfriend who used to play for the Raiders, they may reconsider

Old 08-09-2005, 02:51 PM

The alternator was put on in my driveway, my b/f and I did it. I am hopeing we just knocked something lose. I will check it out tonight after work. It seems to do it when it is really hot but as much at night in cooler air
. I know its weird.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:53 PM

NOT AS MUCH at night in cooler air*** LOL oops

Old 08-09-2005, 05:16 PM

wow, that's a good one. Good luck finding and fixing it!

Old 08-10-2005, 10:17 PM

I've looked underneath the hood and everything seems to be connected and secured tightly where they belong. No holes in any vacuum lines or anything. Guess I'll have to break down and run it in to the dealer let them go for a ride with me. I wish it was something that would set the MIL on so I would atleast be able to get a trouble code. I hate cars, lol. Appreciate the help guys I'll keep ya posted if I find out anything.

Quick Reply: Help!