Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

HELP! 2004 SS overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Unhappy HELP! 2004 SS overheating

guys...I need a hand. My 2004 is overheating and I cannot tell why. Through a process of elimination have replaced the following. 90 degree heater hose by pass fittings (leaking), lower rad hose (leaking), flushed the system 4x, replaced t stat, replaced water pump..no help...it's as if I've done nothing and am more than a little frustrated. Any ideas?

Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 PM

You might want to check your thermostat out, sometimes they go out, just pull it out and put it into a pot of hot water along with a thermometer and heat up the water till it opens up and take note of the temp that it opens. Other than that it might be your water pump(hopefully not becasue they really look like a bitch to change out.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

is coolant looking? could have a gasket issue if it is leaking

Old 05-23-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Xx-007-xX
You might want to check your thermostat out, sometimes they go out, just pull it out and put it into a pot of hot water along with a thermometer and heat up the water till it opens up and take note of the temp that it opens. Other than that it might be your water pump(hopefully not becasue they really look like a bitch to change out.
dont even waste your time doing that, they are like 7 to 10 bucks just go get a new one

Old 05-23-2010, 10:56 PM

well, I'm going to check the thermostat as suggested, but it is brand new...could just be bad...as I said, I already replaced it, the water pump, the 90 degree heater by pass elbows, and the lower rad hose....these were all leaks that were visible...one things for sure, I got a handle on taking it apart and putting it back together now thats for sure

Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 PM

Does the car overheat when sitting at idle, at speed or all of the above? After doing all that work did you 'burp' the system?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:13 PM

yeah, it just over heats at idle. Today, upon completion of the water pump project I let it run, while in park, and it got up towards 220 quick, 10 or 15 mins at least, so I shut it back down...didn't even back it out of the drive way unfortunately, and yeah...I "burped" the system at the bleeder on top of the t-stat housing...

Old 05-24-2010, 12:12 AM

Sounds like you know your stuff and you have taken care of a lot of the usual suspects. Do the fans come on?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:31 AM

is it flowing properly? see if you get heat through your vents. and did you flush it forward, backward and forward to unlodge anything stuck? also was going to ask about fans but silver beat me to it

Old 05-24-2010, 06:48 AM

reverse flush....never heard of it? how does one go about this? and as far as the fans, they appear to be working properly, that is to say they come on when the temp is about 1/2 way..way before it gets to critical, but it is of no use...the engine gets hot enough to fry eggs on!! I tell ya guys, I've about narrowed it down to the radiator being blocked at this point as there isn't much more of the cooling system left to replace...blah! n

oh, and while I let it get up to operating temp, I have also been running the heat at full blast and it bakes in the car, the heat is most definitely blowing in the cabin..

Last edited by rockin dude; 05-24-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP! 2004 SS overheating