Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Heater/AC Fan chirping

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Default Heater/AC Fan chirping

At slower speeds the fan starts a chirping noise. If I tap the brakes it goes away but comes right back when I take my foot of the brake pedal. If I'm idling at a redlight it may chirp, when I accelerate it goes away for a few seconds but comes back when the engine is at cruising RPM's. So it seems somehow it's affected directly by the brakes and/or engine. It seems more complex than just a squeaky fan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM

My ac/heater blower will occasionally make noise if I get leaves in that area. I can access mine to clean it out from up top (remove the plastic screen at the base of the windshield). Not sure it you have a similar issue or not. Don't see how the brakes would impact the blower, though.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 PM

My monte just started doing the same thing...if you turn the fans off, the chirping/clicking stops. If you turn it back on, starts again. Most noticeable on fan speed 3. Does anybody have any idea what it could be? It's becoming annoying

Old 12-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Check for a birds nest. I had the same problem and found a birds nest under my hood. Our cars are very notorious for housing birds... jk um mines made that noise but went away. :P

Old 12-18-2011, 07:12 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mine makes a chirping noise but after I turn the car off.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When a fan starts making a chirping sound it is usually a sign that a bearing is worn. If the motor isn't a sealed unit you can sometimes eliminate the chirp by lubing the bearings with a non-conductive dry graphite, but the motor should be replaced to eliminate the problem. When you turn on different accessories, step on the brake pedal or turn the engine off the rpm of the blower motor changes because of the difference in amperage (or lack of) being applied to the blower motor. In turn the motor shaft wobbles in the bearing. This is why the chirp may come and go or change pitch. A 'ticking' sound may also be heard at times. This is usually caused by the 'squirrel cage' making contact with the surrounding housing as it rotates because the worn motor bearing allows it to wobble.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Yes, I think that's exactly what's going on.

I removed the fan (very simple). Shot some WD 40 into the shaft and it has been fine since. Eventually the fan may need replacing but at 100K miles I think it's a permanent fix.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 PM

On the 6th gen, where exactly is this fan located/look like? I'll look into getting some lube on it over the next couple of days but want to kind of get a feel for what I'll be looking for

Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 PM

It's under the glove box nearer to the floor. Remove the plastic piece under the glovebox to gain access. The casing is black and circular in shape. Unscrew the 3 nuts, unclip the wire harness and it falls right into your hands. Turn it over and you'll see there's a hole right over the end of the shaft. Spray in there. Spin the blades and turn it upside down to let the lubricants seep in. I also bought some aerosol white lube and give it a little shot too.

It's very easy and took me the first time about 15 minutes. Now I could probably do it in 5.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the info! I took mine down a couple of days ago, sprayed it down really good (and let it drain ha) and put it back up...after a couple days of running, no chirping yet. Hopefully it'll last a bit. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Heater/AC Fan chirping