Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

heated seat issue (driver side)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Default heated seat issue (driver side)

Hello everyone, hope you all are doig well. I have an 01 ss, the lovely red color in pretty much excellent condition. I find it funny KBB says it is valued at around $4000- when it looks like a 25000- car.

Anyway, I have only 1 problem that I have yet to get figured out and that is the driver side heated seat. I have no other problems or coinciding issues.

The heated seat control on the center console ( the hi/lo light does work-- the picture of the seat on the control does not work.
The driver seat heat does not work, I have checked all fuses, what do i check out next.. Thanks..

Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 AM

Sounds exactly like what mine is doing Getting cold again too, would be nice to be able to fix it.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 AM

This thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ht=heated+seat

And getting the leather seat cover off was a PITA for me, those plastic hooks that hold it down are tough.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Default found this info

Start the engine.
Operate the heated seat switch in the LOW and HIGH positions.
Does the heated seat operate in low and high modes?
--
YES: Go to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems
NO: Go to Step 3
Do the LOW and HIGH switch indicators operate properly?
--
YES: Go to Step 6
NO: Go to Step 4
Important
The body control module (BCM) is programed to supply voltage to the heated seat switch only while the engine is running.

Disconnect the heated seat switch connector.
Connect a test lamp from the ignition voltage supply circuit terminal in the harness connector to a ground.
Does the test lamp illuminate?
--
YES: Go to Step 5
NO: Go to Step 17
Connect the test lamp from the ignition voltage supply circuit terminal to the ground circuit terminal in the heated seat switch harness connector.
--
YES: Go to Step 22
NO: Go to Step 18
Using a test lamp backprobe the seat heater element supply circuit terminal in the heated seat relay connector.
Operate the heated seat switch in the HIGH position.
--
YES: Go to Step 12
NO: Go to Step 7
Disconnect the heated seat relay.
Connect a test lamp from the heated seat switch signal circuit terminal in the harness connector to ground.
Operate the heated seat switch in the HIGH and LOW positions.
Does the test lamp illuminate in the HIGH and LOW switch positions?
--
YES: Go to Step 8
NO: Go to Step 15
Turn OFF the ignition.
Connect a test lamp from the battery positive voltage supply circuit terminal in the heated seat relay harness connector to ground.
--
YES: Go to Step 9
NO: Go to Step 19
Connect a test lamp from the battery positive voltage supply circuit terminal to the ground circuit terminal in the heated seat relay harness connector.
--
YES: Go to Step 10
NO: Go to Step 20
Test the resistance from the heated seat thermistor signal circuit terminal to the ground circuit terminal in the heated seat relay harness connector.
Is the resistance within the specified values?
7K-11K ohms
YES: Go to Step 11
NO: Go to Step 14
Measure the resistance through the heated seat switch from the heated seat switch signal circuit terminal to the heated seat switch high/low signal circuit terminal in the heated seat relay harness connector.
Operate the heated seat switch in the HIGH and LOW positions.
Is the resistance at or near the specified values?
HIGH 310 ohms
LOW 200 ohms
YES: Go to Step 27
No: Go to Step 16
Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the seat cushion heater element 4-way connector.
Test the resistance through the seat cushion heater element.
0.5-2 ohms
YES: Go to Step 13
No: Go to Step 25
Disconnect the seat back heater element 2-way connector.
Test the resistance through the seat back heater element.
0.5-2 ohms
YES Go to Step 21
NO: Go to Step 26
Disconnect the seat cushion heater element 4-way connector.
Test the heated seat thermistor signal and ground circuits in the seat harness for the following conditions:
Open or high resistance
Short to ground
Short to battery positive voltage
Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you find and correct the condition?
--
YES: Go to Step 31
NO: Go to Step 24
Test the heated seat switch signal circuit for an open or short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 31
Go to Step 22
Test the high/low switch signal circuit for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
NO: Go to Step 22
Test the ignition voltage supply circuit to the heated seat switch for an open or short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
NO: Go to Step 29
Repair the open or high resistance in heated seat switch ground circuit. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Is the repair complete?
--
--
Repair the open or short to ground in the battery positive voltage supply circuit to the heated seat relay. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Is the repair complete?
--
--
Repair the open or high resistance in the seat heater control module ground circuit. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Is the repair complete?
--
YES Go to Step 31
--
Repair the open or short to ground in the heater element supply or ground circuits in the seat harness. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Is the repair complete?
--
--
Inspect for poor connections at the heated seat switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
NO: Go to Step 23
Replace the heated seat switch. Refer to Heated Seat Switch Replacement .
Is the repair complete?
--
--
Inspect for poor connections at the seat cushion heater element. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
YES Go to Step 31
No: Go to Step 25
Replace the seat cushion heater element. Refer to Seat Heater Element Replacement - Front .
Operate the Heated Seat System.
Does the system operate normally?
--
YEs: Go to Step 31
NO: Go to Step 13
Replace the seat back heater element. Refer to Seat Heater Element Replacement - Front .
Is the repair complete?
--
YEs: Go to Step 31
--
Inspect for poor connections at the heated seat relay. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Yes: Go to Step 31
NO: Go to Step 28
Replace the heated seat relay. Refer to Relay Replacement in Wiring Systems.
Is the repair complete?
--
--
Inspect for poor connections at the body control module. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
No: Go to Step 30
Replace the BCM. Refer to Body Control Module Replacement and Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Body Control System.
Is the repair complete?
--
--
Operate the system in order to verify the repair.
Did you correct the condition?
--
Yes: System OK
No: Go to Step 3

Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Default Heated Seats

I have the same problem - heated seat on Driver side stopped working and I live in a very cold area! I took it to local dealer today - they did diagnostics on it and said only the "seat base element" is broken. Cost to repair is $630!!!! $473 for the part only and they tell me that there is only one part in the country so if I want to get it fixed I should do now. I am not sure if I can believe that - why would Chevrolet not make parts to fix something that is obviously an ongoing problem - anybody have further ideas/thoughts?
I read Jimbos thread about fixing and I could probably do it but where would I find the part and is it really that expensive?

Last edited by LisaD; 01-10-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 AM

Usually, when you pull up the seat cover, you can see a small dark spot in the seat foam. That is the frayed wire that is broken. Total PITA? Yes, that is why I only fixed the driver's side!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Hello everyone,
I have the same problem with my newly purchased 2001 Monte SS. The passenger seat works perfectly however the driver seat is completely inoperative. I have plans to investigate and hopefully fix it this weekend. Following the detailed directions in the above post is the best way. Simply using deductive reasoning is always wise.
With regard to the availability of replacement elements all hope is not lost. Dorman is a major supplier of aftermarket and OEM parts. This link will take you to their site where several heater elements are listed. PLEASE Finish reading this post before you go there.

Dorman Products - Seat Heating Pads

Part numbers 641-101 thru 641-107 are all GM replacements. The kits listed also come with the hog ring pliers and new hog rings. (sweet) Be aware that there is not an application listing a replacement for the Monte Carlo, HOWEVER there are listings for suburban, yukon and tahoe. They may not be an exact fit but if you want a new element rather than trying to repair your old one then this is certainly the most viable option. The other plus is that in keeping with GM technology I have to believe that the elements for the suburban, yukon and tahoe will have the same electrical requirements as a Monte Carlo thus matching the circuitry. There is always a possibility of problems using an aftermarket "universal" heater element with your cars' original wiring.
The other option is simply using the passenger side element. YES this is the more labor intensive option BUT it is the cheaper one. The only thing you must remember is to be very careful when removing BOTH the driver and passenger side. After repairing the driver side element just swap it with the passenger side. Since most people only use the driver side you will be much more likely to not have to repair either of them any time soon.
I will take photos and update this thread after I repair mine this weekend. I also have several breaks in the rear defroster glass that I am hopeful to repair. If I am successful then I will post this on a different thread.

Last edited by gmjunkyard; 11-07-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 AM

THANK YOU to all who contributed to this thread. Just as was mentioned, the black wire at the bottom of the driver seat behind the corner had burned through. It was still connected but the wire had burned so badly that the metal had lost its' conductivity. Some solder and heat shrink and we now have a happy heated butt.
See image below.
fixdriverseatheater.jpg

Old 11-24-2014, 02:14 AM

Where is the drivers side heated seat really?

Old 11-24-2014, 05:33 AM
Default relay

The driver side relay for the heated seat is located on a large rubber retainer under the right front portion of the seat. Swap it with the one from the passenger side to see if that is the problem.
M

Quick Reply: heated seat issue (driver side)