Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Head Light/Fog Light/Dimmer Switch wire harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 11:26 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Head Light/Fog Light/Dimmer Switch wire harness

It's a long shot but here goes. So, I've been operating with no dash lights for over a year now, using a trusty flashlight and duck tape so I can see the speed limit. What happened? Well there was a short in the electrical and overloaded something and burned out a spot on the switch. This thing of course:

dimmerswitch.jpg

So I found the part number and bought a new one. Tried to install it and come to find that the wire harness that it plugs into is what shorted out. It's burned out on one connection pin. So naturally, I want to buy a new wire harness part. But for the life of me I'm having such a difficult time finding the part anywhere even on GM part manufacture sites. I'm about to solder the dang thing in permanently. I'd much rather buy the wire harness itself without going to a junk yard to find it. Anybody have any Idea where I can buy one of those things? I've even thought about just getting some various Molex connectors and just making my own connection. Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2015, 01:15 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I realize I asked about this one a while back too. Since no takers I can only assume the part is not sold and your only options are going to the dealer, or to a junk yard to pull the part out. I'm not fond of either of those choices. It's going to take some electrical ingenuity. Basically on the back of the dimmer switch where the electric pegs protrude I'm going to use single wire connectors that hook up to individual pegs then take male molex connectors and label them 1, 2, 3 and so on and connect them up to a female molex connectors labeled the same numbers. Then incorporate some type of fuse to prevent the dimmer switch from getting charred like what happened previously. I think it was mainly a blip in the system when it happened before and I don't anticipate it happening again. When I do complete this project which may not be for several months I'll try to come back here and update this page. I'm so sick of having no dash lights.