Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Have you lost Engine power on your MC? look here

Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb Have you lost Engine power on your MC? look here

If you have lost power on your MC this is the right thread for you! We are not selling resistors to put on MAF or any stuff like that. This thread is for you to get back the horse power and torque that your car should have. Im hoping that we can all contribute to this thread and add fixes that we have done to our cars that have helped us get the car running like it should. Then, after we have enough inputs maybe this can be stickied as a way to summarize all the information for the members that have a hard time with the search function. So post your fix here, if there is already a DIY for your fix post the link for it and Please lets try to minimize posts that dont have a FIx (Ex. questions and off topic comments)

Ill Start here:
FIX #1
Symptom:
Lack of power, Hard start, long crank times, rough idle, low fuel pressure (30PSI when it should be between 52-59 since your car is fuel injected). This may also fix loss on fuel economy. it will not make any better than stock but it should get you back where it was when the vehicle was running properly.

Repair:
New fuel pressure regulator. Make sure to buy one from a reputable fuel pressure regulator because this things break quick (im on my third one)

FIX #2
Symptom:
No evap leak, check engine light

Repair:
New Gas Cap

Fix #3
Symptom:
Engine bogging down, lack of power, RPMs wont go any higher when WOT, car wont go past 50, 60 MPH

Repair:
New CAT, your catalytic converter may be worn out or clogged. This is very common on these cars.

Fix #4
Symptom:
Same Symptom as a dirty fuel injectors. engine running erratically. Feels like it running out of gas.

Repair:
.5 cans of seafoam on Brake booster hose, .5 on your gas tank.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:58 PM

Well there's a start...

Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 AM

::BUMP:: where is brake booster hose?? my car wont start unless i press the gas with it and while its running it sputters and idles unevenly like crazy

Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by StrongTakeover
::BUMP:: where is brake booster hose?? my car wont start unless i press the gas with it and while its running it sputters and idles unevenly like crazy
It's a small reservoir towards the back/right of the engine bay. You'll see a hose with a greenish hose hooked next to it, that's where you pour the fluid.

Quick question; what is pumping the gas when starting the car supposed to do? Your car is fuel injected, not carbureted.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 AM

i have no idea. when I press the gas the engine revs high and turns on without me pressing the gas it turns over then stalls out. Do you think me pouring some seafoam in it will stop this man I have no idea why my Monte is acting crazy all of a sudden

Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by StrongTakeover
i have no idea. when I press the gas the engine revs high and turns on without me pressing the gas it turns over then stalls out. Do you think me pouring some seafoam in it will stop this man I have no idea why my Monte is acting crazy all of a sudden
IAC Valve is most likely not working right.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Aw man something different I have to worry about. I was told my fuel pump regulator is going bad also where is the IAC valve located on an SS. My car doesnt have any CEL I know my car previously threw a code saying an evap leak but the light went away all by itself I didnt even clear it

Old 02-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Old 02-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be the FPR, pull the vacuum line off it and if it smells like gas you probably need to replace it.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM

e-jinx!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have you lost Engine power on your MC? look here