Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

"Guero" going under the knife tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Default "Guero" going under the knife tomorrow

For the past 3 weeks I've been keeping an eye on a new "problem" with my car

It's developed a slight coolant leak I noticed it the Monday after I replaced my brakes. That Friday when we left to go down to my father in laws house in Gilroy, CA. I made sure to check all my fluids and what not, coolant was one that I needed to top off (the reservoir). So we go on our trip, get the brakes done that Saturday and come home Sunday. Well Monday when I left for work I got a call from my g/f later that morning. She said she went into the garage to do laundry and noticed a small puddle of "radiator fluid" on the ground where I parked my car.

So I got home and checked the puddle and sure enough it was coolant. First thing I did was check my reservoir, it was very low So I checked the radiator and it was surprisingly still full I checked all around in the engine bay to see if any leak was obvious and didn't see anything so then I check under the car to see if I could see where it was coming from. I found some drips coming from the rear passenger side corner of the engine cradle, the reservoir sits right above that so I figured there was a crack in it or something. I pulled the reservoir and inspected it and found no cracks or signs of leaking.

Since then I've kept an eye on it closely and the good thing is that the problem hasn't gotten worse, some days it'll drip a little, other days it'll be dry as a bone. Instead of waiting any longer i'm taking her in to the shop first thing in the AM to have them check it out and see what's going on. I just hope it's nothing major.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:56 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good luck man. I hate it when I don't know exactly what is wrong with my car before I bring it to a mechanic.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Check your oil color to see if it looks like a chocolate milkshake. Doesn't sound like bad LIM gaskets but you never know. One of the end seals might be going bad causing it to leak or something.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:20 AM

The oil looked good, coolant reservoir looked good, didn't see anything obvious so I took her into the shop today.......

Just got a call back, they said my water pump was leaking, suggested a new one as well as a new thermostat so when it's all said and done I'll be out $350 for the repair.....sure beats the hell out of a LIM repair cost though so I'll take it!

I should have Guero back and better than ever here shortly. Oh, I also asked them about my brakes and the slight "whirring" or "swooshing" sound they give off and they checked them out too and didn't see anything of concern, they said it's normal for drilled/slotted rotors to put out a bit of noise for a while. He said i'm always going to hear a slight "swooshing" sound due to the air being pushed through the holes in the rotors but anticipated that most of the noise i'm hearing now will go away within about couple hundred miles.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:16 AM

I got my car back, it felt good as far as the way it idled/drove, feels as good as new. And I feel much better knowing that there's nothing wrong with my brakes so I went out and bought the stuff I needed to get so I could pull my calipers off and paint them....I needed a breaker bar and 1/2" drive metric socket set. Gonna try to find a brake line clamp sometime this week so I can get them done next weekend!