Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Ground issue, resistor, blower motor problem when hitting bumps on the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Default Ground issue, resistor, blower motor problem when hitting bumps on the road

Hi all ! My blower motor seems to have a loose wire problem and or ground issue. Every time i drive over a bump ( live in ohio haha) the fan stops blowing hot air in the cabin, but comes back on. Is it there a certain location where the wires come loose known for? Or should I just replace the resistor and fan motor? If the car is parked, they both run fine at any setting, So I dont think its the resistor or motor but open to suggestions. It is a 2004 SS .Thank your help!

Old 12-07-2015, 03:48 PM

If it's the same as my 2001 3.4 I would check the ground which on mine I had to remove the battery to get to. There are also a couple of grounds left of the stereo that you need to remove the lower panels under the steering column. The resistor is a pain to replace, if I had to do another one I would probably remove the passenger seat. Also, the bolts are tough to get a socket on because there is very little room. When the resistor goes bad you usually lose lower fan speeds but it works on max. I'm thinking something is loose or the motor itself is bad since bumps set it off. To check the connections I would remove the dash and and unbolt the climate control panel to look at those and connection coming from the ignition switch.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:54 AM

Same thing happened on my 04 Impala

Pulled the kick panel off pass side wiggled the connectors and then cleaned then with a small flat screwdriver and so far no more issues

Not sure if monte same as Impala but if it ends up being fan easy to change and reletively inexpensive

Old 12-23-2015, 05:19 AM

i replace the resistor under the glove box in my 2001. since i had it apart, i also change the fan motor because it was nasty......my resistor was so old, it had missing circuit in it...i have pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0141.jpg (1.12 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0142.jpg (1.13 MB, 4 views)