Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Gotta love the Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Default Gotta love the Carlo

Hey all hows yer carlo running cause mine has an issue or two and i need some help from my fellow MC drivers thanks

Old 02-01-2014, 02:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What year what motor?
What seems to be going on with it?

Old 02-01-2014, 04:16 PM

its a 99 monte carlo LS and it just had some work done. Replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets and the valve cover gasket too.
Now its leaking some coolant on the passenger side somewhere? The guy said its the head gasket. He put some stuff int the fluid and checked for the leak with his glasses, but he didnt see it for days where he was looking and the coolant still leaked. So im hoping its not the head gasket maybe something else. Its not overheating, although it is getting warm and a strange whistling has started when idling and accelerating?? oh yea and theres no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, yet...?

Old 02-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Also got the drivers side axle seal replaced and got a check engine read out there they gave me some codes

P031-CMP
P0442 EVAP
P1870

I looked these numbers up and had no clue and never heard anything close to these issues cause im not that pro.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Here is a link for the codes from the OBD

OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes

Your evap code could be something simple like the gas cap is not making a proper seal, if there is a leak in the system anywhere it throws a code. Make sure you tighten the gas cap til you hear at least 3 clicks (yes I know it sounds stupid but it can actually throw a code if not tightened properly) , check your vacuum lines in and around your intake as sometimes they get brittle and crack causing the leak.

I am not certain about your motor but I know coolant leak on the passenger side of an 00 - 05 generally means the coolant elbows are broken, very common problem and a fairly easy fix, recommend getting the aluminum elbows so you don't have to worry about it. But definitely check your oil, pull out the dipstick and look for coolant, if it is present stop driving and get it checked asap.

Did you mean P0187? couldn't find a P1087 code in the list but if it is the 0187 here is a description for you
The fuel tank temperature sensor is used to detect the fuel temperature inside the fuel tank. The sensor modifies a voltage signal from the Engine Control Module (ECM). The modified signal returns to the ECM as the fuel temperature input. The sensor uses a thermistor which is sensitive to the change in temperature. The electrical resistance of the thermistor decreases as temperature increases.

Seems like your fuel system may require a quick once over for a leak and any possible loose wires

Also something up with your heater core according to the P031 code, is your car throwing heat? maybe you have a bad heater core causing the coolant leak

Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 PM

THanks for the info!! i double checked and it is P1870 Transmission Component for sure and i do like the heater core idea too.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Found this about the P1807 code

when this code comes up it typically means that the computer is detecting slipping from the transmission. If the transmission is having shifting issues then this is the problem. If the transmission seems fine then the problem may be a transmission speed sensor.

I'm wondering if this could be cause by your pressure control solenoid, it is a common problem in the 6th gen trannies, but I am uncertain about 5th gen. Definitely were I would start to look though

Old 02-04-2014, 12:50 PM

Hey thanks a bunch ohara, i appreciate the info and i will look into all this in the coming days peace