Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Getting underway...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:53 AM
1 Year Member
Default Getting underway...

Started mechanical restoration of my 1976 Landau S. This car was in dry storage since 1989. It is now running and will be getting repairs necessary to get it on the road for this year. Next year paint and interior upgrades. As can be seen, I have a decent platform to work with. Luckily the previous owner soaked the underneath with rustproofing oil before it went into storage .

Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats & good luck with the new project!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:32 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks, nice to know at least one person appreciates my efforts. I have to say, finding parts for this car is proving harder than my Torino convertable restoration was and there was only 2550 of them made. I figured when I bought the Monte, being a GM product, parts would be easily available.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 PM

Nice ride! From here... it looks like a good cleaning and an oil change and you can roll her down the road!

All kidding aside, looks like a fairly complete project that won't take much effort to get roadworthy. I have a 1977 Monte Carlo, and can offer some help in finding parts. Unfortunately, most companies aren't on board with anything 1973 onward. But some are slowly coming around... Thats what makes these cars unique.

www.OPGI.com Based out of California, they are among the only 73-77 GM A-body aftermarket supplier. And they know it... charging quite the premium for parts. They have a decent supply, but this is a fairly new market for them as they grow their catalog.

www.montemania.com Mom and Pop deal out in Arizona. The owner Phil is a Monte Carlo enthusiast and has quite the collection of parts. I got my rear bumper and headlight bezels from him. Parts are reasonably priced and desert fresh from Arizona. He has a lot of NOS parts as well.

73-77 GM cars are the next big thing. Pre-72 cars are played out and too expensive. The next generation offer all the same goodies... a rear wheel drive car that can swallow any motor you feed it... and for cheap. A lot haven't been hacked up... yet. Give it a few more years, and you will see the prices creep up.

Good luck!

Last edited by HammerV8; 05-30-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: wrong website
Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's a couple more places you might be able to source parts from:

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot

Monte Carlo Parts

Best of luck with the resto and keep us posted on how it's going.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice project!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks guys. I have a set of the opera window mouldings coming from OPG. Also new carpet. Thru Kijiji ads I have been able to pick up alot of spares including a set of swivel seats. I have driven over 1000 miles in the past two weeks acquiring it all. I now have a full dash in perfect condition and floor console with the glove box door in similar shape. These will be for the future when a full restoration is completed.
So far we have dropped the gas tank and pulled the rad. Both have been sent out for cleaning and recore. Also have all new front end parts and complete brakes front and rear to install.Front and rear suspension stuff.All new belts, hoses and tune up parts. Last job before certification will be headers and dual exhaust. That is all I plan for this year. Just want to drive it and work out the bugs this summer.These are my other rides...
may1613001.jpg
1021.jpg
DSCF0146.jpg

Last edited by MonteMikeM; 06-01-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM
1 Year Member

Turns out a new gas tank was cheaper than trying to revive the original so I have gone that route. All of the chassis and brake work is now complete. New fuel lines waiting to go in with the tank this weekend. Forgot my camera in my work truck so will get pics in a few days. Also fresh recored rad, and all new hoses going on this weekend too.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:41 PM

Looks like you found a great barn find and like you said a little work here and it will be running. I am about three quarters of the way done on my 1974 Monte Carlo am doing frame off restoration and have own the car since 1983. You can find a lot of common mech. parts, but when you start later on body and interior parts you find that there are very few new parts and will depend on the OPGI, Dixie auto parts, Parts place and Phil Kmett in AZ, EBay and junk yards depending where you live at in the US. If you need any info on parts let me know I will try and help you out.

Last edited by Bill; 09-14-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 09-14-2013, 06:33 PM

Your Ford GT is stunning!

Quick Reply: Getting underway...