Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

fuel consumption and performance air filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Default fuel consumption and performance air filter

I recently installed an aFe oem style PRO DRYS air filter in my 2000 MC. I figured higher air flow would give me better gas mileage, yet MPG actually decreased about 1 MPG. Does anyone know why this occurs? Is there a fix, such as a recalibration of the computer?I also installed 0 ohm Granatelli MPG PLUS wires for a hotter spark. Yes they work to increase hp performance, and they virtually eliminate the inherent pre-ignition start-up knock. They have not performedup to the potential 15%increased MPG, but there may be a connection of lower MPGandthe air filter. Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Default RE: fuel consumption and performance air filter

i would suspect ur new wires, our stocl wires are very good, try switching them out with the stock and c what happens

Old 11-05-2008, 09:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Agreed.
And the stock coil packs are THE best out there.
BTW, my K&N CAI gained me 2 mpg by itself.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:04 PM

Its that time of year when people do mods and other complain their mileage is dropping and there is but one reason for it.
WINTER GAS.
From mid October-mid March our refinery's blend near 10% corn mash into our normal 87-93 octane fuels to lesson emissions due to longer warmup times of engines due to colder weather. A 10% drop in mileage can be achieved when they go to this fuel.

Outside of that, resistance is a wanted thing in moderation for street engines.
Plugs will fire with there full potential at 15,000 volts, they don't really require any more. Out street fuels are very unstable unlike racing fuels and light with ease. Once the plug fires any residual voltage left over needs to find a path to ground. Low resistance or no resistance creates a condition where the excess voltage rebounds like a echo does. Right back up the wire looking for a ground. This eats rotors and caps if vehicles use them and for those that don't the coil takes the hit as its releasing another shot. Burned coil sides are a result of this and either way you'll go through tuneup parts much faster than normal when using these type mods along with multiple spark units. That is one reason plugs etc are designed with resistance built it. Those are strip parts designed and meant for racing and its fuels.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:46 PM

winter gas...didnt even think about that with how warm its been, good call!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 PM

Not only winter gas, but Jerry lives in Washington.

I'm not too familiar with weather conditions there, but since we are in November I can only assume it is getting colder.

I live in WI and have personally noticed with my previous vehicles that get between 25-33 mpg that as the air cools 25 degrees I loose about 1 mpg. This is happening now since summer.

In summer when it is about 80 degrees I get 27.5 - 27.8 mpg. Now that it has been 55 degrees I've been getting 26.2 mpg.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the input. Talked with Carburetion Technologies (local) and they confirmed the cooler air=lower mpg. I seek out stations that sell non-E-10 petrol. There are two in Washington that have not switched yet, even tho it is a legislative mandate to reduce pollution - NOT! If an engine gets less mpg with ethanol gas, then that means more fillups = using more gas= more pollutants into the atmosphere - go figure.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:42 AM

E10 is mandated in MN year round and an E20 mandate isn't too far away. we still have winter and summer gas tho. winter gas is more volatile and summer gas is less volatile (i think i have said that the right way...) but mainly, you will get worse mpg in the winter cuz of the longer warm up times and theO2 sensoris in open loop for longer. Just think how bad it is for us minnesotans (among other northern states) when temps drop to about -10 or lower[:@]