Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Floor Shifter Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 10:30 PM
1 Year Member
Default Floor Shifter Conversion

Anyone ever converted a regular column shifter into a floor shifter? I want to find out more information on this but seems like very little people actually know.

I would need a new column for sure and a shifter is it possible to do on the 84 CL ?

Plans for it is dropping a bigger sbc maybe a 383 but would love to have the shifters on the floor and not up on the column

Old 12-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MidWest312
Anyone ever converted a regular column shifter into a floor shifter? I want to find out more information on this but seems like very little people actually know.

I would need a new column for sure and a shifter is it possible to do on the 84 CL ?

Plans for it is dropping a bigger sbc maybe a 383 but would love to have the shifters on the floor and not up on the column
Yes its ppossible lol I'm looking to do the same with my 83 monte when I take it out storage for 2014.best advice I can give is check YouTube for how to etc and find trustworthy hotrod shop that does custom work like that.as far as column there is a variety places you can get em such as dixie monte carlo , ididit and flaming river etc. The other parts you can from summit, jegs and so on.

Last edited by jakefluker; 12-12-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:42 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jakefluker
Yes its ppossible lol I'm looking to do the same with my 83 monte when I take it out storage for 2014.best advice I can give is check YouTube for how to etc and find trustworthy hotrod shop that does custom work like that.as far as column there is a variety places you can get em such as dixie monte carlo , ididit and flaming river etc. The other parts you can from summit, jegs and so on.
That's great news, I'm currently looking up this information in order to fulfill the process. I've found good amount of donors for this in my area (Austin Tx). Keep us update on your swap

Old 12-13-2013, 07:13 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Do you have a bench or bucket seats?

Old 12-13-2013, 11:05 PM
1 Year Member

The original ones that came in the CL. Neither bucket nor bench since the passanger one has the center arm rest attached to it. I might go all 4 buckets

Old 12-14-2013, 03:06 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I suggest get buckets and the center console from an ss. Then just use a hurst or b&m universal shifter for your trans.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:32 PM

Yeah I agree, IF you have a bench seat it would kinda suck trying to put a floor shifter in. You might try to source a center console and bucket seats from a Monte SS, but you can use stuff from other GM cars too. Like a late 80's Cavalier Z24, or I've seen people use seats and console from newer cars too. There's a guy on youtube who took his wrecked 99 Camaro SS and put engine, transmission, wiring, and the entire interior I mean door panels, dash, console and all in a 1985 Monte Carlo SS. So it just depends on how creative you want to get. You can also buy all new seats and leave out the console and put in a floor shifter. As for the column, you can just remove the pin for the shifter handle and unhook the linkage from the column to tranny and it don't look too awful bad. Of course a new column would look much better and your stock one's getting pretty old. If you got the cash, you can do whatever you want with that car. It's a blank canvas lol.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MidWest312

It's not hard to do. , I put a floor shifter in my 1940 chevy & my 1946 chevy.. I went to the junk yard and found a shifter I liked an installed it..

Old 06-11-2016, 03:40 AM
Default 1987 Monte Carlo LS

Someone made my Monte into a floor shifter with a horrible shifter it won't shift into park because it's snapped in half. Can I use any other GN floor shifter to hookup so I can drive my car? Until I get the money to buy a nice aftermarket thanks.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:05 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

You should be able to use another GM floor shifter as long as you make sure the shifter cable is adjusted properly so it will go into all gears. I converted my 84 from a column to a B&M ZGate floor shifter. Wasn't very hard to do. Check on www.jegs.com for shifter cable parts, etc if you need them.

Quick Reply: Floor Shifter Conversion