Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

First concern ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 02:10 AM
Default First concern ?

Hi all , I own a 2001 Monte Carlo SS with 106,000 mi. I have only owned it for a year now. The other day went out to drive it like usual , but this time the check engine light was on . I have checked all fluids , looked under hood & car .Every thing looks fine . Drives great as it has since I bought it . I want to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible . Before it does starts acting up . So my question to you all is what would be my most cost effective next move ? I have no problem working on all I can myself . Should I look into buying a code checker & if so what one would you suggest ? Maybe take it in to be looked at ? This is my first car with a check engine light ! I've been driving my 72 BLAZER for the last 22 years . All advise would be welcomed . Thank you

Old 11-15-2015, 03:17 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Take the car to your local big auto parts store such as O Reillys or autozone and ask them to read the codes. Write them down and then look them up so you know what you are dealing with.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by P343
Take the car to your local big auto parts store such as O Reillys or autozone and ask them to read the codes. Write them down and then look them up so you know what you are dealing with.

I agree!
Also one thing to also check on is make sure your Gas Cap is tightened properly. On the new cars if you miss the proper seal after you fill the tank it will do the check engine light. Also make sure your air filter is clean. That seems to help.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

X3 that, with knowing the code it is alot easier to move forward in the right direction

Old 11-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Here is a link to a post that has all of the codes and what they mean, once you get the code read you can cross reference and know what the problem is

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...de-list-17144/

Old 11-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Thanks all ! I will look into this .

Old 11-21-2015, 02:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with everyone above, but if you do choose to buy a code scanner, here's a low cost one that is actually pretty impressive for the price. It's Bluetooth and can be used with your smart phone or lap top. Available for Android, iPhone or Windows.
Amazon.com: BAFX Products® - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products® - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive