Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Few issues with new ride

Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Few issues with new ride

So I have a few problems with my new car (2003 Monte Carlo SS/HS), nothing too major though.

The good thing is that everything mechanical is solid. Just did an oil change, replaced the air filter, and checked all my fluids. The vehicle runs very well, was pulling 31 MPG on the highway, shifts very smooth, rides extremely smooth.

A few of them I think are linked. My Traction Control, ABS, and Cruise are all broken. The car currently has the wrong size tires, 2 are 215, 2 are 205 (car uses 225), I'll be replacing them soon. I have a feeling that could be affecting the sensor, and if it's not the wrong size tires it's probably the sensor itself. I would love to provide the codes, but the code reader I bought didn't work on my car so it's gonna be a few days until I can get them. If it is the sensor, is there any one you guys would recommend?

The second problem I have a feeling will be fun to fix. I did my best to label all the pictures, sorry if it's hard to follow. It seems as if the previous owner had a separate radio set up in the back (all of the work looks very well done, probably professional). None of the speakers in the car are hooked up to the original radio, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to redo that. There is a new antenna sticking out of the back window. There is also a large red wire running from a fuse box under the hood, through the firewall, and into the trunk, and the other large black wire is just ground in the trunk. I assume that was used to power it as they are much larger then wires I have seen used for subs. There is also some weird black box in the trunk, and another silver box in the top of the trunk that I forgot to take a pic of. Not sure what either of those are, hopefully nothing awful. Not entirely sure of what to do with all of this. Should I leave the red and black wires, as well as the 2 boxes?

Thanks for any help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Antenna Inside.jpg (124.0 KB, 16 views)
Antenna Outside.jpg (100.7 KB, 14 views)
Red Wire 1.jpg (160.0 KB, 13 views)
Red Wire 2.jpg (145.5 KB, 13 views)
Trunk Inside.jpg (177.3 KB, 15 views)
Trunk Outside 2.jpg (209.9 KB, 14 views)
Trunk Outside.jpg (211.4 KB, 15 views)
Under Hood.jpg (194.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by EvanLauer; 03-20-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi there. You are looking at a factory antenna for your On-Star system. The black box in your trunk is your On-Star system. It is missing the black plastic cover to it that is why it looks unfinished. If it is not in use just remove the On-Star black box and toss it into the garbage can. A silver box in the trunk, if it is mounted under the back deck is your factory audio system amplifier. Your engine is also missing an engine cover. A plastic cover that should say 3800 Series II on it. The wires are anybody's guess, they do come across as aftermarket stereo related. Good luck putting things in order.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:32 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Hi there. You are looking at a factory antenna for your On-Star system. The black box in your trunk is your On-Star system. It is missing the black plastic cover to it that is why it looks unfinished. If it is not in use just remove the On-Star black box and toss it into the garbage can. A silver box in the trunk, if it is mounted under the back deck is your factory audio system amplifier. Your engine is also missing an engine cover. A plastic cover that should say 3800 Series II on it. The wires are anybody's guess, they do come across as aftermarket stereo related. Good luck putting things in order.
Huh. Thanks for the info, I had never seen that antenna before. There are 2 red and white cords sticking out of the amp that aren't connected to anything, so I'm gonna go mess around with it and see if I can find where they should be connected to.

I'll look into to getting an engine cover at some point, looks like it was removed so the wiring could be redone, the wiring looks brand new.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by EvanLauer
So I have a few problems with my new car (2003 Monte Carlo SS/HS), nothing too major though.

The good thing is that everything mechanical is solid. Just did an oil change, replaced the air filter, and checked all my fluids. The vehicle runs very well, was pulling 31 MPG on the highway, shifts very smooth, rides extremely smooth.

A few of them I think are linked. My Traction Control, ABS, and Cruise are all broken. The car currently has the wrong size tires, 2 are 215, 2 are 205 (car uses 225), I'll be replacing them soon. I have a feeling that could be affecting the sensor, and if it's not the wrong size tires it's probably the sensor itself. I would love to provide the codes, but the code reader I bought didn't work on my car so it's gonna be a few days until I can get them. If it is the sensor, is there any one you guys would recommend?

The second problem I have a feeling will be fun to fix. I did my best to label all the pictures, sorry if it's hard to follow. It seems as if the previous owner had a separate radio set up in the back (all of the work looks very well done, probably professional). None of the speakers in the car are hooked up to the original radio, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to redo that. There is a new antenna sticking out of the back window. There is also a large red wire running from a fuse box under the hood, through the firewall, and into the trunk, and the other large black wire is just ground in the trunk. I assume that was used to power it as they are much larger then wires I have seen used for subs. There is also some weird black box in the trunk, and another silver box in the top of the trunk that I forgot to take a pic of. Not sure what either of those are, hopefully nothing awful. Not entirely sure of what to do with all of this. Should I leave the red and black wires, as well as the 2 boxes?

Thanks for any help.
hi, the cover on the 3.8 might be missing due to a factory recall for the front valve cover leaking, if the valve cover looks new, that indicates the recall was performed and the cover gets discarded, not an issue to be concerned about.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:55 PM

hi, the cover on the 3.8 might be missing due to a factory recall for the front valve cover leaking, if the valve cover looks new, that indicates the recall was performed and the cover gets discarded, not an issue to be concerned about. you do not need the cover, do not waste money buying one it is not needed. the dealer removed it if they did the recall.

the silver box attached to the upper side in the trunk under the rear shelve is an amp for the high end stereo from the factory. I believe it is a 200 w. amp. a good thing

Old 04-02-2017, 11:53 PM

So to confirm that the Wiring in the Trunk is related to a Aftermarket Amp that isn't there anymore. First thing I would do if it hasn't been done yet is go to that AMP wire in your Engine Compartment and do one of 2 things. Easiest would be to take out the FUSE is it is still in the Clear holder that is upnext to your FUSE box. Or if you can't get to it to do so then take it off the battery. If that has already been done then no need to worry about it. It looks like someone used your Trunk as a Sub box holder and that wire was used to power the AMP for it.
Then cable that is hanging from the top of the trunk area are RCA wires and most likely goes to a LOC (Line Output Converter) this could be connected to some wires off the Factory amp area. NOT ALL WIRES are always used on that and if that is the wires you said are not connected to anything you will be Chasing a Rabbit hole.

About the ONSTAR box that is upto you if you want to take it out or leave it. Personally I would leave it incase you ever want to add your Onstar back.
The OEM AMP. I would be able to tell you more if I could see a PICTURE of it so I could tell you what they have going on! Like I said before it is likely they used a LOC for the Sub amp. and yes them wires were for the AMP power from the battery in the motor area to the TRUNK. Personally I would leave it because it isn't cheap stuff and someone went through the trouble to install it. If it bothers you, Then sure remove it. Going in is harder then it to come out.

The Littler blue wire is Remote turn on wire and may come from the amp area or from the back of the radio depends on how the old owner or shop installed things. If the RCA's don't come from the OEM amp area then it may run to the back of the radio as well with the blue wire.

Does your radio work right now? Another thing that could happen is they installed more then 1 amp. The one for the subs and then one or more for the other speakers. If there is no sound right now and radio turns on it could be they pulled new wires to the location for aftermarket speakers. Took the speakers. Could be they are not connected because they used aftermarket amp and has bypassed the amp in the trunk. Again would need to see the amp to know what is going on.

Any LEDs in the car that looks like it wasn't stock? I wonder if they put in a Remote system maybe a Remote Start and didn't make all the connections back if they removed it.

Sadly one of the problems when people do systems in the cars. They don't leave any info about what was done and or what needs to be done to make things right if something isn't working.

James

Old 04-03-2017, 12:13 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by admjr53
snip
I've been meaning to call my local Chevy dealer to have them make sure it went in for that fix, but work and my TCS/ABS/Cruise issue has been keeping me occupied when I'm not at work. I'll wind up grabbing a new engine cover at some point, not too high on my list of priorities though.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:24 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Imp42017
snip
Yeah I've been meaning to make a post about this, been very busy with work lately.

To start, I did find the fix. The OEM Amp wasn't getting power. There is a small orange wire (in that giant bundle of cables that goes under the interior) that had split, and it's power for the Amp. It was a huge pain to find the exact place that split, but everythings working great now. I'm assuming that's why the new one was put in there. The previous owner had also spliced those RCA wires into the Amp wiring, but it works with that crap still there. I disconnected the red wire under the hood, so that should be good. I figure I'll leave all the wiring in case, because if I wind up having an issue with the OEM amp it could be cheaper to just put an alt back there. I have yet to see any random LEDs that shouldn't be there, but I'll keep my eye out.

Thanks

Search this Thread