Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Failed compression test on L67

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by EvanLauer
This was super helpful, thanks.

Wound up getting it all off, pics here: https://imgur.com/a/iVap8lm

There's some graphite from the head gasket left, I circled it in red. I think it was head gasket, just want to get your opinions on it since it's my first time dealing with low compression.
The sealing rings of the gaskets look normal would probably be more distorted if it was bad.. You would have had water in oil or coming out of tailpipe with a bad gasket . Was the cylinder full of water or is the spark plug have a green tint on it's electriod ?

Old 05-04-2018, 06:39 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
The sealing rings of the gaskets look normal would probably be more distorted if it was bad.. You would have had water in oil or coming out of tailpipe with a bad gasket . Was the cylinder full of water or is the spark plug have a green tint on it's electriod ?
Cylinder was clean, and spark plugs were all normal. I'll try that test in an hour or so, looking at some parts right now.

Also this is a little off topic, but I noticed you had red spark plug wires. You mind letting me know which brand you got? Thinking about picking up some red ones.

Last edited by EvanLauer; 05-04-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by EvanLauer
Cylinder was clean, and spark plugs were all normal. I'll try that test in an hour or so, looking at some parts right now.

Also this is a little off topic, but I noticed you had red spark plug wires. You mind letting me know which brand you got? Thinking about picking up some red ones.
They are MSD 8.5 mm a universal set for a small block, I prefer making my own especially around headers. I'm sure there similar set's available for a v6 but if not a universal set can be made for car for a reasonable price.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:03 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
They are MSD 8.5 mm a universal set for a small block, I prefer making my own especially around headers. I'm sure there similar set's available for a v6 but if not a universal set can be made for car for a reasonable price.
I'll see if I can find some. Only set I was able to find in red last time I checked was $70, and a normal set was $25.

Wound up bringing the head to a machine shop. They found the crack pretty fast, only cost $20. Kinda sucks, but oh well, just glad that I can start ordering the parts and getting this **** back together.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 PM

Glad you found the problem. Take your time when you're ready to install the parts , if something doesn't seem right double check. And be sure to torque all the bolts especially the intake. And a side note on the wires , compare the price on a good set of wires and they're pretty close. Good luck on your car. We're here if ya need more help.