Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

exhaust cut out

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Default exhaust cut out

in my 06 mc ss i have found there isnt much to do in terms of performance upgrades. i have been looking at getting an exhaust cut out. were would i put it? after the headers there is a bend in the exhaust then the resinator. would it be worht it to put it after that or should i make my resinator farther back with some custom tubing.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Default RE: exhaust cut out

if ur gonna go thru all that trouble u might as well get a high flow cat and a different downpipe. personally id put the cutout near the back and pipe it to the side that way you can blow it right in the face of your competetion

Old 03-17-2008, 09:42 AM

i would klove to get a high flow cat but i highly doubt they make them for the car and for the down pipoe there is not one made yet.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 AM

The exhaust cut-out is pretty much pointless I think. As far as I have heard, all it does is allows you to open up a section of piping so you can run straight headers at the strip.

High flow cats aren't really vehicle specific. Just go to your local exhaust shop and get a high-flow cat (Magnaflow makes a good one) and have them weld that in. Then have them replace all of your piping past the cat with 2.5" piping, and this will get rid of your U bend and resonator. Then have them weld on a pair of aftermarket mufflers, which depends onyour sound preference. Dynomax and Flowmaster generally sound good on MC's, and they aren't too overly expensive. Doing this will make your exhaust flow a lot freer and give you a lot better sound, but I think this is about the best you can do on a 06-07 since I don't think they make headers, downpipes, or full cat-backs for it yet. The next step after that would be to get a K&N cone filter and make yourself a CAI modeled after the Wizaired CAI. If you live close, you can then go to ZZPerformance and have them tune your PCM, which disables your governer, raises your rev limiter, and gets your air/fuel nice and stoich.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Exhaust cutout is for one thing really on these cars, to make it loud. Hogan Performance makes a downpipe with a high-flow cat for the 5.3. So get a 3" one and then Magnaflow makes a catback and Magnaflow is a quility catback. All stainless steel, polished mufflers and tips and Magnaflow is dyno tune for the best performace possible. K&N makes a cold air intake and it's a good one, most people like the performance boost, look and sound of it.
http://hoganperformance.com/DP7S.htm(hogan 3" downpipe with high-flow cat)
http://www.planetmagnaflow.com/shop/...16727-529.html(discount code, theplanet for best price possible)
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Old 03-17-2008, 06:24 PM

I totally suport the idea of the cutouts. From the few ive herd, it makes the car sound AWSOME. The 5.3 will really sound off! For vids and stuff check youtube there are a few.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:25 PM

i would really like to get the parts for it. i already have the k&n intake, diablo tune, and magnflow exhaust. but who knows what can happen. something could come along.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005

i have and electric cut out that ran about $100. I got it put in right before the rear passanger tire. I also got the resinator taken out and i love the way it sounds when it is wide open. I dont think there is much performance increase but the sound is amazing for the money, and i would suggest getting the electric switch, just one of those cool little toys that most cars dont have that will set yours apart, and you dont have to worry about getting down on your knees to open and close it or have to wait for the exhaust to cool off.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM

If you cut off right after the cat and put 2.5 in piping running straight pips would you have back pressure and lose hp?

Last edited by monte_with_a_LS4; 03-02-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:56 PM

I was thinking about putting the cut outs right after the headers. does anyone know if i install it there will you throw a check engine light?

Quick Reply: exhaust cut out