Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Engine Won't Start After Tire Blow Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Question Engine Won't Start After Tire Blow Out

My 95 Monte had a blow out on the front left tire. The tire shredded pretty bad, and made a bunch of noise while the rubber banged on the wheel well.

After bringing the car to a stop on the road I noticed that the engine had died. I tried starting it to move the car off the road, however, it acted like the starter was weak, and would make a few revolutions then stop! It's still doing this, and the car doesn't start, because the motor is turning so slow.

To me it seems like something is jamming the engine up, and keeping it from turning. I have taken the serpentine belt off, and tried starting the engine thinking maybe the alternator was preventing the engine from turning over. Still does the same thing.

I don't know if it could be the battery, it appears I have full power with the dash lights, and radio.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Old 05-28-2012, 08:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could have knocked a wire loose somewhere. check all the connections and make sure they are all tight.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 PM

Yeah I will double check all the connections tomorrow. I tightened the battery cables also, and this did not help. I hope the battery just took a beating, and needs replaced. So I hope it's that easy.

I am also going to try turning the engine crank manually tomorrow.

I will post a video tomorrow of the symptoms.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:07 PM

Check your grounds, If it died instantly you may have lost a ground.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 PM

Thanks. I will be sure to check them too.

I was too concerned with steering the car, and didn't really notice how the engine died. I'm assuming it was instant.

It still has electrical power. The starter will engage but just sounds really weak, and can only get a few revolutions out of it.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:30 AM

Have you tried charging the battery?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:43 AM

Hi Dustin,
What engine do you have in your Monte Carlo ?

How fast were you driving when you had your blowout ?

Did it destroy your inner liner in your fender ?
Did it destroy your Rim ?

What damage did you have under your Monte ?
Is there any scrapped parts under your Monte ?

Did you go into a ditch or or hit anything else on the road ?

It's possible the impact may have bound `up your starter ? or loosened a connection to it ?

Look for additional infor on your incident ..& your vid..
Good Luck

Last edited by Space; 05-29-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:46 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I did forget to mention that it is the 3.4 DOHC LQ1. I went out today, and tried to start it again. But the engine won't even turn over now. You can hear the starter engage, but the engine won't move. So I checked the battery voltage with my multimeter, and it was reading 12.5 volts.

I then hooked a ratchet onto the center bolt of the crankshaft pulley, and attempted to turn the engine by hand. NOTHING! No budge or movement in either direction. So I'm assuming something in the bottom end gave out.

I pulled the timing gear covers to inspect the belt. It was still attached, and looks good.

I guess it's either time for a major rebuild on the engine or start looking for an L67 for an engine swap.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:24 PM

Is there any fluid under your Monte ?

Is there any noticable damage under it ?

Did you drop it in low gear when the tire blew ?

Need more details & answers to previous questions. ?

I have never heard of a engine blow'in, when a tire blows
That blows 4-Sure Are you still posting pic's/vid's ?

Do you have any friends that are mechanic's to check it out ?
Good Luck 4-Real...

Old 05-29-2012, 03:03 PM

I think I threw a rod. I finally got the engine to start moving after taking 1/2" ratchet, and breaker bar to it. The engine will now turn over, but won't start. It was making a clanking noise. I crawled underneath the car, and seen oil dripping.

Reached up between the oil pan, and tranny pan, and found this laying in between them! Damn it!

Quick Reply: Engine Won't Start After Tire Blow Out