Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Electronics on the fritz!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 03:00 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Electronics on the fritz!

Hey guys, Just made the 8 hour drive back to Napa for memorial day weekend. As I got closer to home driving about 1 in the morning i noticed the electronics going nuts in my car. The spontaneous moments it does decide to freak out here is what it does:

-The Odometer lights begin fluttering, but not powering off.
-(when driving at night) the headlights flutter, but do not power off, if i hit the gas while it flutters the lights will become brighter but still flutter.
-The aftermarket DVD player shuts off and restarts at random moments (usually within 5 minutes of driving) When the screen shuts off however, the power light STAYS ON. weird.

Since this problem began a day and a half ago here is what I have done so far:

-cleaned battery terminals
-Taken it to a trusted Electrician to evaluate the wiring, Supposedly the radio had not been installed with the GM override module, but instead wired to the ignition. After he wired everything to his specs The turn signal sounds now work however nothing else has changed and he can not figure out. He also said it could possibly be the voltage regulator.

Does anyone have any advice on where to take things from here? im a month out from deploying and I cant make another 8 hour drive with no radio!!

Old 05-25-2014, 09:26 PM

The module isn't important anyway, dunno why you changed that lol, it's basically just letting you hear turn signals or any dings or beeps, which I don't hear anyway even with my stock radio...but anyway, it sounds like your battery isn't connected correctly, or simply, your battery is going bad. How much electronics do you have? And is your radio shutting off when the car is off? Any subwoofers?

Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Well the battery is two months old, however since i got it i have had to jump start it somehow the battery died when I was gone for only two weeks. That was when some of my problems began but it didnt get this bad until two days ago. In those two months Ive had a new battery, new alternator, and aftermarket speakers installed. I dont have a sub in it yet but I also have that aftermarket deck too which is 3 years old.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hiroska
The module isn't important anyway, dunno why you changed that lol, it's basically just letting you hear turn signals or any dings or beeps, which I don't hear anyway even with my stock radio...but anyway, it sounds like your battery isn't connected correctly, or simply, your battery is going bad. How much electronics do you have? And is your radio shutting off when the car is off? Any subwoofers?
Doing strange things like that sounds like a lose power cable or loose ground wire.
A place to check, most people miss is the main power line from the alternator. It does NOT go to the battery, it goes to the starter first, then to the battery, then to the under hood fuse box, then to the interior fuse box.

I totally disagree on the importance of the radio module. Turn signal sound and chimes for door/keys/lights/seatbelts are important.!!
The car won't pass a safety without them.
But that's ok, nobody wants to buy it with a dead battery from lights left on and the keys locked inside from having no chimes.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:57 AM

I will double check those connections tomorrow, the electrician said the ground was good and i think it looks good anyways... So are we completely ruling out the battery???

Old 05-27-2014, 06:00 AM

How about getting the charging system check, by a pro. Maybe you have an alt going bad or just a chassis ground issue. Jump starting a new battery after just purchasing it, tells me there another problem. Check for a draw on battery if alt checks out. Do you have any amps in this stereo install?

Last edited by KillerB; 05-27-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by TomF106SS
Doing strange things like that sounds like a lose power cable or loose ground wire.
A place to check, most people miss is the main power line from the alternator. It does NOT go to the battery, it goes to the starter first, then to the battery, then to the under hood fuse box, then to the interior fuse box.
I totally disagree on the importance of the radio module. Turn signal sound and chimes for door/keys/lights/seatbelts are important.!!
The car won't pass a safety without them.
But that's ok, nobody wants to buy it with a dead battery from lights left on and the keys locked inside from having no chimes.
What state requires the chimes? You can turn the chimes down so low that you can even hear them, and alot of cars dont even have the seat belt chime. Ive never had a problem with that as most cars, always have a aftermarket radio and w/ aftermarket radios, they remove the chimes.

Purchasing a aftermarket system holds a responsibilty of having known it will remove the chime, simply dont remove the radio, its ways around upgrading the basic system lol. Im sorry but paying an extra amount for another connection for door chimes and using my buttons aint worth it, I rather keep my basic radio for the reason of it works just as well as aftermarkets AND you dont have to waste time removing and buying a case.

And if your car battery is constantly draining power from the battery, meaning you have a hot connection tapped in somewhere where it shouldnt be. Sounds like the audio guy doesnt know what he's talking about if he cant find that solution, IF it occured AFTER he messed with it.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 PM

[QUOTE

And if your car battery is constantly draining power from the battery, meaning you have a hot connection tapped in somewhere where it shouldnt be. Sounds like the audio guy doesnt know what he's talking about if he cant find that solution, IF it occured AFTER he messed with it.[/QUOTE]

i agree with this when it comes to the battery dying. And it could also explain this --->-(when driving at night) the headlights flutter, but do not power off, if i hit the gas while it flutters the lights will become brighter but still flutter.}

when you give it gas, it gives the alternator more power, in return making headlights brighter. SOMETHING is draining power somewhere. i dont think its your battery, but your wiring to that aftermarket radio. have the wires triple checked. sounds like maybe a cpl got crossed....

Old 05-28-2014, 02:25 AM

Everyone thank you for the fast turn around, after driving into town this morning I popped open the hood and checked the ground. The ground was smoking: it wasn't tightened down all the way, I suppose the paint on the frame doesn't help either. Today I got the bad ground wire replaced, new battery terminals to replace the decaying temp ones, and cut back the negative battery wire to remove the decay. Made the 8 hour drive back to San Diego and now I think my water pump went out. Happy freaking memorial weekend everyone!

Old 05-28-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by zell
Everyone thank you for the fast turn around, after driving into town this morning I popped open the hood and checked the ground. The ground was smoking: it wasn't tightened down all the way, I suppose the paint on the frame doesn't help either. Today I got the bad ground wire replaced, new battery terminals to replace the decaying temp ones, and cut back the negative battery wire to remove the decay. Made the 8 hour drive back to San Diego and now I think my water pump went out. Happy freaking memorial weekend everyone!
Good to hear, Zell. Simple fix

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Electronics on the fritz!