Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Electrical system issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 09:43 AM
Default Electrical system issues

hello all, I own a 2003 MC LS and Its been giving me some strange issues. yesterday I took it onto the highway for the first time in a little while and after like 15 mins the radio cut out and the instrument cluster died and turned back on, then after a few mins of the cluster seemingly at random shutting down then turning back on I arrived at a intersection and made my turn, well then the car would barley accelerate (like the car was limping basically), I used the gear selector to get the car to accelerate at any kind of decent pace (my instrument cluster was still acting up and I had turned off the radio bc it had been cutting out) so I drive for a few more mins with the cluster acting up (Ive had this issue before in the past but it went away so I thought it had been resolved, guess not) and I turn onto a road and come to a stop at a stop sign, well the car immediately dies as soon as I fully stopped, the car wouldn't even let me crank it to start it back up, so we (my bro and I) push the car off onto the side of the road (while my sis steers) and wait for a lil while for our friend to come give us a jump. he gets there and we plug the two batteries together and at first my car wouldnt crank still so we sat there for a few mins and let it build up a charge, then I crank the car and she starts up just fine and act like there was never an issue, all the symptoms were gone but I kept the radio off so I could listen to the car. another thing I noticed was on the way home the headlights seemed to pulse a bit, they would be strong for a few mins then they would dim down for a lil bit then they would glow strong again (it also corresponded with the lights on my dash dimming at random) so I obviously have some sort of gremlin in my electrical system, but I'm not sure where to even start looking, the battery and alternator are relatively new (got in Nov of last year), I had done a parasitic draw test a few months ago and found my power window switch and relay to be an issue and replaced those and the issue went away, so I figured Id ask you all since you guys may be able to help

Old 06-16-2022, 01:06 PM

Make sure all of your grounds are clean and tight. This could be a bad ground under the hood. There are several posts here about locations. My go to is always the ignition switch, had several gremlins killed off by a new switch. I think I recall some posts about cluster intermittently shutting off. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:14 PM

thank you so much for the information and reply, but I actually solved the issue a few days ago and just forgot to reply that the issue had been solved, it turned out to be a faulty voltage regulator within the alternator itself, I finally managed to catch it while it was not charging so I took it to Oriellys and got a new one (Lucky for me it was still under warranty because I had replaced it in November), I had installed a voltage meter and that was incredibly helpful in the process of tracking it down