Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Doing brakes soon, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Default Doing brakes soon, suggestions?

I gots to do brakes soon, I think I read somewhere on here that the rotors or calipers are crappy on my style monnte 98 z34, rotors need to be replaced along with pads hopefully all calipers are good. I don't need anything special just something good and dependible that won't break the bank. So should I just buy from local parts store? Or somewhere else?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Stock replacements will work just fine.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If your rotors aren't severely warped or have grooves in them you can have them resurfaced as long as they have enough material left on them. That should save you a couple of bucks. If they have been previously resurfaced then I'd buy new ones. After being resurfaced a couple of times they are more likely to warp because they can't disipate the heat as good. The thickness of them can be measured by the shop that does the resurfacing.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Thanks guys

Old 10-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd pass on resurfacing rotors if you can afford new one.A lot of times they tend to have problems after wards (pulsating/chattering/rusting)If there not machined right they'll eat the pads.I the person doing the machine work really knows what they're doing you might never have a problem but most don't know how to properly machine rotors.Not to brag but i am really good at machining rotors an only about a third of the time do they ever come out right (to my standards)Just my 2 cents But i also live in new york an the weather an salt kinda make life hard for brakes.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

My Mechanic and friend of the family. told us today's rotors are basicvally throw aways. we made the mistake once of doing a brake job w/o replacing the rotors and had premature wear on the pads, along with pulsating on breaking due to rotor warp.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:21 PM

I've used Wagner Thermoquiet pads and have had no issues with them. Last time I did brakes on my car, my rotors were fine - all I needed was pads. I've had O'Reilly auto turn the rotors on the wife's Caravan because they had some scoring/gouges in them. After turning, they worked great - no pulsing, warping or any other issues. I think I paid $20 to turn the pair of front rotors ($10 each)

Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Im planning on just getting new rotors not much a difference of price after core deposit and minnesota winter isn't friendly

Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 PM

I got my rotors and brake pads for my 98 z34 from summit racing. I got the Summit Racing brand drilled and slotted front rotors. There 50 bucks a piece. Then i got the Benix brake pads as well. They work great. I buy most of my stuff from them, everything is good quality and shipping is pretty fast.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Zen

Originally Posted by mwjames
Im planning on just getting new rotors not much a difference of price after core deposit and minnesota winter isn't friendly
i work on cars every day.After every winter we end up doing a ton of brakes.There just eatten away by all the salt.New Yorks motto is 1 lbs of salt to every snow flake.

Quick Reply: Doing brakes soon, suggestions?